WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Another BLO question, putty glaze window

Posts

Another BLO question, putty glaze window

#1

Another BLO question, putty glaze window

Keith Newton

A friend ask me about how to re-glaze a sash. It’s been about 40 years since I have done that, but I seem to recall that your suppose to prime the surface with BLO to improve adhesion. My question is, do you need to wait for it to dry, or can you just wipe any excess off then glaze right away?

Re: Another BLO question, putty glaze window

#2

Re: Priming

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I used to use a good oil-based exterior paint as the primer after cleaning things for the reglazing. If pigment is not called for, I'd use a spar varnish rather than B LO, and yes, you want the surface dry, not wet.

Re: Another BLO question, putty glaze window

#3

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Another BLO question, putty glaze window

Jack Guzman from Maine

I reglaze alot of windows. I use oil based primer if I'm using oil based glazing compound. The idea is to keep the dry wood from drawing moisture out of the glaze. You seal the wood to prevent this. Modern latex glazing compounds allow the use of water based primers.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.