WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Rotate dust collector motor

Posts

Rotate dust collector motor

#1

A.J. Hamler

Rotate dust collector motor

A.J. Hamler

I have a Jet DC-1100 dust collector, and love it. It's perfectly sized for my needs and gets the job done.

However, in my new shop I have a dedicated closet for the collector, but it can go in there in only one orientation. This puts the intake behind the collector and right up against the back wall of the closet. While I could make this work by cutting and running ductwork through the wall and then back into the shop, I don't want to do this for a number of reasons - not least of which is that doing it that way would add several feet of ducting to the overall duct run, which I'd like to avoid.

What would be absolutely ideal is if the intake went to the left instead of straight back. That way, all my ducting would go exactly the way I want it to go -- saving several feet on the run -- and as a bonus I'd be able to keep all the ducting (except the runs to the machines, of course) enclosed inside the closet.

It seems that simply rotating the motor/impeller 90 degrees to the left would do the trick. I think all I'd need to do would be to unbolt the motor/impeller housing from the base, rotate it 90 degrees, mark and drill new holes and bolt it back down. I might need a couple-inch-longer connection hose that goes from the impeller housing to the bag and canister, but that's an easy fix.

This all seems simple and straightforward, but is it really that easy or am I missing something? Thoughts?

A.J.

Re: Rotate dust collector motor

#2

Re: Rotate dust collector motor

Barry Irby

I have a similar Delta DC (Ithink). It's one of the few machines I have torn all to pieces and reassembled to suit me. The answer to your question is yes. As long as you don't change the orientation of the shafts in the motor and impeller, go ahead. To be lear, if the shafts are horizontal now and they end up horizontal it's fine. The bearings are designed to run in that position. If you rotated them so the shaft was vertical, there's a good chance they would not last long.

I moved my unit into an exterior closet and it was a serious improvement in my shop. (Quieter, more room, dust gone outside....) One objection is the loss of heat and AC. I turn my DC on and off with each tool. No noticeable loss.

Re: Rotate dust collector motor

#3

Alternate View

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I have a 2hp ("alleged" 1500+ CFM) Griz DC that is wall-mounted such that the motor shaft is vertical and the impeller is horizontal. It replaced this


that suffered impeller damage when it sucked in a screw driver which tore/bent 3 vanes destroying the balance. Current unit has run smoothly for 6 years in this orientation.

Re: Rotate dust collector motor

#4

Re: Rotate dust collector motor

Dave Bair

My JET 1100 DC is mounted just like Mark's Grizzly. It's been that way since 2002 and is still running fine.

Re: Rotate dust collector motor

#5

Re: Rotate dust collector motor

John K Jordan

Is it a cyclone? ClearVue told me the intake can rotated to position it at any angle with no effect on the separation. This makes sense since dust path from the intake is independent of the orientation of the impeller and exhaust. At least on a cyclone. At least on a ClearVue cyclone.

JKJ

Re: Rotate dust collector motor

#6

A.J. Hamler

Thanks!

A.J. Hamler

Thanks, guys! Sounds like I'm good to go.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.