WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Sawblade Delima ....

Posts

Sawblade Delima ....

#1

Sawblade Delima ....

Barry Irby

I have a Black & Decker 73-970 Piranha Ultra 10-Inch 60 Tooth blade someone gave me, I think. I have been using it on my RAS and I like it. It seems to have either no rake or slight negative rake. It's been getting some wear and I thought I would check out buying a replacement, Vs sharpening Vs a Forrest version.

The problem is I can not find the blade. I find all kinds all kinds of Piranha blades but not this one. Any Ideas?

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

#3

No, I checked it over and over...

Barry Irby

It's right on the blade and still completely legible. I looked at that blade and it's similar but has more rake in the teeth than the one I have. I like this balde better than any I have used on the saw before. A blade with a lot of rake tends to make the saw lunge forward into the cut, this one does not, at least not much.

Forrest make a blade they recommend for a RAS, but I don't want to pay close to $200 for a blade for a saw I use to break down stock. That's why a $20 dollar blade is attractive, if I can find one.

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

#4

Get the Freud LU91R010

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

I have this blade on my old Craftsman RAS and love it. Has a 5 degree negative hook and cuts with virtually no tendency to climb into the cut like normal blades. Made the saw seem like a completely different tool. About $65 on Amazon.

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

#5

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

DocJim

Barry,

Found your blade in an ad from 1993 in American Woodworker (Ellis's old magazine):

https://books.google.com/books?id=B_YDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=piranha+73-970&source=bl&ots=wXXxKg5LPz&sig=R9fANV_t5VfbA2vc0wZDJU8_GPo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuwt6h8KXbAhVKtlkKHeD4D7AQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=piranha%2073-970&f=false

Jim

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

#6

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

Barry Irby

Wow! That is some pretty deep searching. I am thinking they don't make that blade anymore.

I cleaned it and several other blades yesterday and that improved the cut.

Does it make sense to send a cheap blade out for sharpening?

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

#7

Yes, if .....

Ron in Sterling, CT

Hi Barry,

1. You like the blade that much (as it appears you do)

2. There is enough carbide left to sharpen

3. You have a competent sharpener who cat replicate the profile

4. The sharpening price is reasonable (under $20 to me)

My 2 cents worth. By the way I have all my blades re-sharpened until there is not enough carbide left to redo.

Ron

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

#8

Re: Yes, if .....

John K Jordan

3. You have a competent sharpener

That's the difficult part.

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

#9

Re: Yes, if .....

Ray Newman

JK Jordan: BINGO!

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

#10

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

AZ in Colorado Springs

It's been a while since I had my blades sharpened, but I think a blade like that would cost me about $18 - $20. Dont know what your guy would charge. (I'll assume there's no complex tooth geometry.)

If the blade makes your RAS a much safer, more comfortable machine for you to use, and you cannot locate a similar blade for a similar cost, then sharpening is cost effective.

Although you didn't address it explicitly, it seems from your post that you go quite a while between sharpenings in this application. I think that makes sharpening even more cost effective.

Re: Sawblade Delima ....

#11

I do wait until...

Barry Irby

they need it. Until recently my shop time has been very limited so a blade might go years without sharpening. Now that I am retired they are getting more use and I am more critical of them. This blade really did improve the performance of the saw, making it far more pleasant to use. If I could find another at $20 or 30 I would buy it in a minute.

I cleaned it thoroughly and returned it to the saw but did not see the improvement I was hoping for.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.