WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

Posts

How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

#1

How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Apparently a technique I haven't thought of.......


Chainsaw Problem Repair

Re: How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

#2

That's my technique...

Barry Irby

except for the beer. We all know mixing beer and chainsaws is dangerous.

Felt good just watching.

Re: How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

#3

Tuning tools

Tom dunlap

I have a drawer full of various adjusting and tuning tools. It's three down from

The screwdrivers

Re: How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

#4

Re: Had to Laugh!!

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Back when I was a young lad of 18 in the late 50's, my father had passed when I was 10 YO, and my Mother and I were "financially challenged". I had started work the day I graduated HS and had a few bucks in my pocket. We had an OLD lawn mower I had been patching up for several years. It had a cracked deck, a replacement gas tank from the junkyard, wheels were loose and the darned thing would die about every 4 or 5 min. I was trying to mow our yard and it had died at least 6 or 7 times in less than a half hour.

I finally stopped, counted the money I had and found I had enough to purchase a new mower. I had been cleaning up the yard and had a leaf /brush fire going, so pushed the darn mower up on the fire. Then I went to the back door and had my mother come out, about that time the gas tank caught fire and flames went up about 5 foot! My mother was upset and said we really needed the mower. I had her get in my car and drove to the nearest town with a sears store and bought a brand new mower.

Watching that thing burn was one of the best feelings I ever had up to that time and was worth twice the price of the new machine!

Re: How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

#5

Fixed my digital calipers with the same tool.

Virgil Johnson

I owned a set of Starrett 6" digital calipers way back in the day that were slow to read, constantly ran down batteries and had read errors. I adjust them with a large hammer and I have not had any problem with them since.

Re: How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

#6

Been there done that.  Made me laugh


Re: How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

#7

Re: How to fix a chainsaw

Jim Smith

Hello, I had a friend that threw his in the cement of a large base he was pouring for a statue in his backyard!!!!

Re: How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

#8

Yes, make it go away!

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Perhaps your friend has watched a lot of organized crime shows? ;-) But I like the idea....bury the evidence!

T.

Re: How to fix a chainsaw *LINK*

#9

Saw it coming....

John in NM

And I bet I'll catch a big ration of crap for this...

To avoid this problem - run as much oil as the saw will take in the gasoline. I know the manufacturer recommends 50:1.... I know the new synthetic oils work so well that 50:1 makes sense.... I also know that I run 32:1 (elevation between 6k' and 9k', granted) and my saws start nicely and run fine. My only complaint is that I have a couple 1970's Homelite's that take 16:1 and its a pain to have two mixes on hand.

Call me a cynic, but the 50:1 recommendation sells more saws when the owner does what you see in the vid. It was funny though :D

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.