WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

Posts

Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

#1

Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

CharlieL

Lately I was lucky to find one of these in very nice condition. I believe they are pretty popular with knife makers. Has a Baldor motor, made in the USA.

Re: Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

#2

Re: Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

CharlieL

I got it with a metal stand, and a few extra belts. Now I'm putting a mobile base together for it.

Re: Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

#3

Re: Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

Ralph Lipeles

I use a 4 x 36 belt sander. It is mounted horizontally. That makes it real easy to sharpen plane blades and chisels. The best part is that it was only $5 at a flea market. I had to build a stand and hook up a motor, but that was pretty easy.

Re: Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

#4

Re: Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

CharlieL

First of all I'm not affiliated with Kalamazoo in any way shape or form, other then I'm an American that likes to believe in the value of American made machines. Making your own machines is certainly doable and I have done it a number of times in order to add what I feel are an improvement and that others may want it. On the stand point of saving money, sure, I can save some money by doing so in some cases if I want to figure my time as not being worth much, making money off of ideas nowadays, atleast in woodworking has been a struggle for me, and I'm betting others as well. There is a reason that having anything custom made is more costly then something that is mass produced.

Re: Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

#5

Re: Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

TomD

I think it can be a myth to say that making your own is only worth it economically, if your time is valued at nothing. First off it is a bit of a self deception unless you don't have any free time. But more to the point, it is very often faster to make things than buy them, particularly in metal. Everyone's mileage varies, depending on access to tools, and metal. But for instance, when I had my 2x72 in the shop, it only took me a few hours to make the detail wheel set for it. Not as pretty, but a lot cheaper and faster to hand than buying one. Even if you get it overnight, by the time you have recycled the packing and put it together, you could make one. And with everything you make you gain in resources and speed. That is without factoring the cost to Canada.

I looked at the K. sander and while no doubt it will be a great addition to a shop, I could not do without a knife style grinder, and none of the K. grinders are really up to current spec. Even 2x72. It is like looking at a lathe from the 50s and one designed for craft turning today.

I like 1x42, and 2x72 grinders because top quality metal cutting belts are only readily available retail in those sizes, and 2x72 is by far the leader in that regard, at least around here. The difference between the brick coloured belts and the high end belts, is beyond belief.

One thing if you want to grind metal efficiently is you need a really powerful motor. These are very cheaply available these days. 3hp is good, 1.5 hp is my minimum. Variable speed is very much preferred.

Re: Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

#6

Re: Kalamazoo 2" bench top belt sander

CharlieL

I agree that variable speed would be nice, and I wish that this unit was. One thing that I thought was rather odd is that I previously had the 1" unit and that there is a huge difference in RPM between the 1" version and the 2" version that I now have. Regardless, I'm still very happy and proud to own this unit. As far as making my own machines, for those that know me I'm no stranger to doing that with a few machines. One example is a air filtration machine with variable speeds and is on a timer. It took me a awhile to figure how I wanted to do it so it would use two standard sized pleated furnace filters which are more affordable.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.