WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Scheming for a New Chess Set

Posts

Scheming for a New Chess Set

#1

Alan Young

Scheming for a New Chess Set

Alan Young

I am finalizing a design for another Chess set. This will be for my nephew who served 4 years in the Navy on the USS George Washington Air Craft Carrier and is about to be commissioned as an ROTC officer for the Air Force (First Lieutenant?) So the pieces will have a Navy/Air Force Theme. Coins from the two service branches will be embedded in corners of the playing board. The last set I made was fabricated from Brass and Aluminum



but the weight differential was not satisfactory.

My goal is to have each set evenly weighted. I have found a local powder coating company that I think can coat one or both sets. So my choice of materials seems to be Brass, Aluminum and Steel. Between these thee materials Brass and Steel are close enough in weight-The Steel could be powder coated. Or each set could be Aluminum with one set powder coated, or each set Steel and both sets Power Coated. I am trying to decided the colors of the two service branch playing pieces. Given the three available materials-Does Brass or Aluminum fit one Service Branch? Or what color scheme would you Military Vets choose for each set-It seems Blue is obvious for the Navy but the Air Force also has Blue in the scheme. Would two different shades of blue work for this set? What combinations am I missing? Thanks for your thoughts.

-Alan

Re: Scheming for a New Chess Set

#2

JL

Re: Scheming for a New Chess Set *LINK*

JL

USN colors are "navy" blue and gold - so brass w/ blue?

USAF colors are blue and silver as I recall - though the blue is definitely different.

Are your coins colored?

Have you thought of duplicating the colors on the USN seal and the USAF seal?

As I recall, you can't actually use the seals.


Service seals

Re: Scheming for a New Chess Set

#3

JL

Slight correction *LINK*

JL

Not sure how accurate.


Branch colors

Re: Scheming for a New Chess Set

#4

Alan Young

Re: Scheming for a New Chess Set

Alan Young

Thanks for the info JL...

Right now I have the Navy in Blue and the Air Force in Silver....



these are the coins I ordered:



Re: Scheming for a New Chess Set

#5

Re: Scheming for a New Chess Set

AZ in Colorado Springs

Dark blue and gold for the navy and a lighter shade of blue and silver for the Air Force should work out nicely.

That's a nice project.

Re: Scheming for a New Chess Set

#6

Can you use bronze??

Ian Neuhaus

Silver bronze for Air Force

"standard" gold bronze for Navy.

Re: Scheming for a New Chess Set

#7

Re: Slight correction

Philip Duffy

You forgot that we Naval Aviators wear brown shoes and the black shoes belong to the rest of the Navy!! P.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.