WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

Posts

OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

#1

OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

Tom Norton

Has anyone "fused" plast sheeting? I have 6 mil plastic bag from a mattress store that I want to reduce in size. After cutting I am looking for a way to join the edges.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

#2

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

Barry Irby

Long ago I tried to heat fuse some. Sort of worked. Was not willing to figure out the complexities of how to do it consistently.

I have glue it with flexible rubber cement. E 6000 worked well. Used it to make vacuum bags.

I have also use double stick tape. I lucked into three huge rolls of it. It worked well.

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

#3

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

Bill Howatt

Can't say I've done much with this but we used to make bags out of sheet by:

Align two edges and then clamp between 2 strips of metal but you can use wood such that there edges are well clamped together along the length of the seam. About 3/8" or so will be protruding from the strips.

Fire up a propane torch and run along the protruding edges such that they melt and fuse together. Let cool.

Bill

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

#4

Kneale Brownson

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

Kneale Brownson

I'd think a soldering iron with a wide tip could fuse the sides together while they're pinched between wood pieces with some protruding

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

#5

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

Steve Elliott

I got a pack of pastic dust collector bags that had faulty seams at the bottom and was able to use a clothing iron on a low setting to fuse the plastic together. I put paper down over the edge first to keep plastic from sticking to the iron. The paper ended up stuck to the seam but the bags were fine for use.

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

#6

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

Tom Norton

I did a sample section using the torch idea and it seems to work well!

Thanks!

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

#7

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

TomD

I had a fuser, but it was hit and miss. I use red tape generally, which is designed for it. But for water immersion it would let go. For vac bags I use the cheapest caulking there is, or I use channel.

Re: OT-Joining 6mil plast Sheeting

#8

Re: Tyvek Wrap Tape

Matt

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TYVEK-HomeWrap-2-in-x-164-ft-Installation-Tape-D13841470/100422453

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.