Problems with MDF
CJ in MPLS
I had a leak in the bathroom sink last week. The leaked water was wicked up into the 'end grain' of the MDF partitions within the vanity cabinet. This has result in about three inches of swelling in those partitions. Unfortunately, there is a row of drawers that have slides at that level. The outer drawers have been biased to the outside; they still work, but the gaps around the inset drawers are now offset. The center drawer, having both sides swelled, no longer fits.
Not wanting to replace the vanity, I am left with the question of how to repair this. I can grind/plane away the swelled portion of the MDF so that the partitions are once again planar. This would appear to be the best option as the swelling has introduced a bit of tilt to the slides attached to the partitions. I can repaint the sections where the melamine coating has been lost, but this seems to be doable.
Any other thoughts?