WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Visiting Dad and making new prototype pieces

Posts

Visiting Dad and making new prototype pieces

#1

Alan Young

Visiting Dad and making new prototype pieces

Alan Young

I am back home in North Dakota visititing my Dad..-Dad and I have been making pieces for a new music stand adjustment bracket design.





Dad has made several jigs for the new pieces -One piece is quite tricky to fabricate-he made it by hand-(Not shown in any of these pictures) But we want to be able to replicate this--- so he is now sitting in his lounge chair with the original piece thinking about how to make a jig that can reproduce this interesting part....stay tuned!

Re: Visiting Dad and making new prototype pieces

#2

Re: Visiting Dad and making new prototype pieces

CharlieL

Looks good guys, keep up the good work. I also enjoy being inventive, my interests in school were math and mechanical drafting. A few years ago I was fortunate enough to run into a old school drafting table and arm, I have it all restored since then. I've enjoyed coming up with dust collection improvements over the last few years. I'm also in North Dakota, Bismarck to be exact.

Re: Visiting Dad and making new prototype pieces

#3

Re: Visiting Dad and making new prototype pieces

TomD

Cool stuff there. Is that welding table one of his also? It is elegantly patterned, and the keys are obviously also useful. My welding table is just a mill table, I mounted on some lathe legs, not too original, and currently lost to use behind my latest boat.

Re: Visiting Dad and making new prototype pieces

#4

Alan Young

Welding Bench

Alan Young

That top came from another famiy members' Laser Shop- The cut outs were designated parts-They had several of the left over plates and Dad put two of them together for his welding bench


Re: Visiting Dad and making new prototype pieces

#5

Re: Welding Bench

TomD

Very nice! Yeah, well when the family owns a laser cutter, good things happen. The family that lasers together...

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.