WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Scrolled Skirt

Posts

Scrolled Skirt

#1

Scrolled Skirt

Joe in a Cleveland suburb

Hello.

I am in the process of making a new tv cabinet/stand. I am trying to make it quickly for various reasons. So quick, that I am making the 'box' the same way I made my kitchen cabinets years ago. Even using left over cherry ply (the the sides) and pocket hole screws...

It's just a box with a face frame. I'll add a couple raised panel doors and drawers. Made from cherry ply for the two sides and the rest regular cherry for the face frame, doors, drawer, etc.

I want this box to sit on a roughly 5" tall 'scrolled skirt' - kinda like a blanket chest. I think it's called a skirt, not sure... The front two corners will be mitered and glue blocks behind.

My question is:

What are some strategies for making sure I get tight miters ?

The 'skirt' is basically a U with two mitered joints; left front and right front.

Should I make the skirt, then attach it to the box?

Or should I add the front skirt to the box, then add the side pieces (skirt)?

OT (Gloat) - Bill T., remember my daughter being at VT? She just finished up and got her PhD! :)

Re: Scrolled Skirt

#2

two choices

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

The easy way: Build a mitered base and set the cabinet on it. "Bracket feet" are always done this way.

Wrap the case with mitered molding. Brief summary. You need to read between the lines.

This process was discussed recently as part of someone's build. Check saw set up and box squareness by making a test miter and dry fit to each front corner of case. Adjust cut as needed and it may be different for each corner. Cut and fit one joint at a time. Dry fit right corner using clamps to hold over-length pieces in place. Remove right side and cut right side to length and attach it permanently. Then cut front to length and install. Finally install right side.

Re: Scrolled Skirt

#3

Re: Scrolled Skirt

Don Stephan

The back corners of the skirt could just be butt joints since the back is against the wall.

Re: Scrolled Skirt

#4

Re: two choices

Ron in Sterling, CT

Hi Joe,

I have built several blanket chests and prefer to use the "wrapped molding" process that Bill describes above. Fairly straight forward, just take your time. I usually put corner blocks behind the corners for added strength. Just my 2 cents.

Ron

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.