WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Big walnut hits the ground

Posts

Big walnut hits the ground

#1

Big walnut hits the ground

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.





Friend had a large walnut tree that needed to be removed. Cut it today. I should have borrowed my friends bigger saw. I could have used a 30" bar. It showed curl in the base so the approach was to cut it at the ground with minimal notch, which is harder. I also had to miss the garage next to it.

In its teen age years the top blew out and it had regrown a top with a complexity of forks and limbs. When it hit the ground the butt was 5' in the air. We put tires under the butt to hold it up to minimized the risk of splitting when I sawed the first log off at 12'. As seen in picture 2 the bark is uniform pattern throughout, which indicates there are no overgrown limbs anywhere near the outside of the log. It should yield nearly all clear lumber except for the center few inches.

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

#2

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

Keith Newton

It's a good time of year for easy bark removal. I did a scoring cut through the bark on one about like that, then managed to get the bark off in one piece once. Of course you want to be close to the saw when you do that, to keep from getting dirt on that moist cambium.

How do you plan to saw it. I can always buy plenty of 4/4 Walnut, so I usually cut some 8/4 and 12/4 to have on hand, but if all you plan to do is case work your needs may vary.

Also the bark looks pretty light, but maybe its because it is laying down with the high Sun angle. Do you have Butternut in your area?

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

#3

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Let me know if you need my address for delivery of the lumber. ;-) T.

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

#4

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I have heard of butternut growing here but never saw one.

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

#5

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

John K Jordan

>>> Let me know if you need my address for delivery of the lumber. ;-) T.

I'd like to order a 16/4 plank (or some 4x4 turning blanks) and an 8/4 slab.

I'll even come get it. :)

JKJ

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

#6

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

Keith Newton

Better yet, invite Bill to just bring you the log, then saw it on your Woodmizer for a share.

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

#7

Dibs on any crotch flame.

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

I'll take whatever crotch flame cuts you come up with. I'm willing to pay a hefty price of $1.50bf. If it isn't buggy, I'll stretch that to $1.60!!

T.

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

#8

Re: Dibs on any crotch flame.

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Not pictured is the top of this "bush". I have never see a tree like it. There will be lots of figure where the trunk transitions from column to bush. Remains to be seen if there are bark inclusions ruining the party. The trunk was sawed to yield a high grade log and a log with #1 and #2 common lumber. The large limb crotches could make some useful figure in this section. At the end is a screwy top section that who knows what it may yield. It sort of looks like a fist with fingers(large limbs).

BTW, I have the center 5" thick section of a 32" wide cherry crotch with no bark inclusion that is available for $100.

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

#9

Re: Big walnut hits the ground

John K Jordan

>>>Better yet, invite Bill to just bring you the log, then saw it on your Woodmizer for a share.

Shoot, I'll come get the log and bring back lumber.

JKJ

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.