Fascinating article about wood and construction
Howard in Toronto
Interesting article about a 12-story wooden building to be built in Toronto -
https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/t...012-man%20shop
Howard
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Fascinating article about wood and construction
Howard in Toronto
Interesting article about a 12-story wooden building to be built in Toronto -
https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/t...012-man%20shop
Howard
Re: Post an actual link?
Henry (Raleigh)
Howard - your 'link' was compressed with some "..." and as a result the cut and paste method did not work.
Could you post the full text or an actual link?
Thanks,
Henry
Re: Fascinating article about wood and constructio
Steve Elliott
I think this is the one:
https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/toronto-will-be-home-canadas-first-tall-wood-research-institute
Re: Carbon Capture
TomD
Well this is interesting, though the idea with these buildings is to plant new weed forests, and grow the wood, possibly genetically accelerated wood. That way you capture carbon in the structure. But this is more likely to suck up old or medium growth wood. Or maybe third world wood.
I went to the Pan Pacific Hotel shortly after it was opened. The designer had specified wallpapering the hotel in bird'seye burl. That hit the wood market for years, and it was just one building.
Re: Fascinating article about wood and constructio
Keith Newton
At a cost of $742 per square foot, if my math is right, it could be solid ebony. Do they grow anything that expensive in Canada? I would like to see what they build with that kind of budget.
Re: Carbon Capture
Brian Holcombe
I think they should just use steel for big buildings. State projects consumed an incredible amount of the forests in the US in the late 19th century. No need to relive that as we have a recyclable material to use instead.
Glue-lam’s don’t last as long as steel I beams and they consume a lot of energy in their production.