WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Endoscope camera

Posts

Endoscope camera

#1

Endoscope camera

Jerry Gibbs

Any recommendations? I am probably looking at a hard wired droid, since I don’t want to rely on internet. Some of the cameras seem very inexpensive. Thanks.

Re: Endoscope camera

#2

Re: Endoscope camera

John K Jordan

You might get what you pay for. Reading reviews a while back, buyers of some cheap cameras reported limited focus, resolution, brightness, and picture contrast.

Amazon has a lot of reviews to study.

Sorry, the only hands-on experience I have with these is the Bosch camera I bought years ago which is incredible, but it was not an inexpensive thing. It would be interesting to compare it to one of the cheap ones now.

JKJ

Re: Endoscope camera

#3

Side business Jerry?

Dick Coers

Are you looking for medical grade, or just an inspection camera? I use the cheapest USB inspection camera I could find on eBay. I paid less than $15 and it works great on a free ancient laptop. Kinda makes the purchased system look silly since I had a total of $15 in mine. Actually very close to 1-1 scale on the laptop screen. Works great for hollowing, but no idea how it would work for endoscopy work.

Re: Endoscope camera

#4

Re: Side business Jerry?

Jerry Gibbs

Looking in holes, pipes, behind heavy objects etc.

Re: Endoscope camera

#5

Re: Endoscope camera

John McGaw

I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074ZZL8ZB/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

from Amazon when they were on steep discount a few months ago. At this moment I couldn't come up with a single reason as to why I did it -- completely irrational buy and I still haven't used it for anything beyond a quick test.

Re: Endoscope camera

#6

Not for me

John K Jordan

>>>I use the cheapest USB inspection camera I could find on eBay. I paid less than $15 and it works great on a free ancient laptop. Kinda makes the purchased system look silly since I had a total of $15 in mine. Actually very close to 1-1 scale on the laptop screen. ...

That configuration sounds kinda silly, er, limited for general use, even if almost free. As with many things, the best tool to get depends on the intended use.

I can't imagine the laptop configuration being useful for some of the things I've used the camera for, such as on the ground under the bed of my truck snaking a brake line through the frame, on a ladder snagging a security video cable wire through a wall, out in the mud locating a washer dropped in the bobcat engine compartment, guiding a romex cable inside a wall filled with insulation, with my head and shoulders wedged into the cabinet under the kitchen sink determining where to cut a hole without damaging anything behind. Etc.

For general use I'm glad I got one that is self-contained with the buttons and screen all on one hand-held battery-powered controller.

Re: Endoscope camera

#7

Forgot to mention...

John K Jordan

Some nice little cameras I looked at recently hand long, flexible cords. These would be great dangling from a fishing pole but might be difficult to push through a tight place. In that case, a shorter semi-rigid cable that can be bent but still hold it's shape can be more useful.

JKJ

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.