WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Replacement table saw fence recommendations

Posts

Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#1

Replacement table saw fence recommendations

Michael van pelt

With Biesemeyer being out of the picture ....What would be a good replacement fence for an older cast iiron Sears tablesaw?

Thanks

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#2

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

Walt

The Delta T-square fence at Home Depot used to be a bargain at around $300 or a bit less. Now they seem to be closer to $400 and no longer a bargain IMO. Here's one that intrigues me:

https://vsctools.com/shop/product-category/table-saw-fence/

There are a number of 80/20 extrusions that could be used for different purposes, you wouldn't have to buy their extrusion. I think 80/20 extrusions are very flat from the factory.

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#3

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

Dan Bundy

I put a Vega on my Craftsman early '90s contractor saw. Made a world of difference.

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#4

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

Bruce Schoenleber

I have no experience with the Vega fence, but it has been around for a long time, so it must have some validity.

http://vegawoodworking.com/product/table-saw-fence/

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#5

I have this vsc fence

ronster

I put the vsc fence on my ~5 yr old unisaw that comes with a bies. The vsc is very nice; they make sure that the extrusion is excellent. I missed the unifence that was on my prior delta contractor's saw. The vsc is not the same thing because it doesn't slide forward and back like the unifence did.

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#6

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

CharlieL

The Delta T30 is about the most reasonably priced fence that I know of. Lowes has them for about $200.

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#7

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

Don Evans

Check out this one. I purchased one of these many years ago for my old Sears saw and really liked it. Very well made and was as good as any fence I've ever seen.

When I got my Delta unisaw I replaced the Unifence with one from Ptreeusa.com

and really like it also.

Check out the mule one though as they have several models but I got the 1025 model.

Don

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#8

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

Donald Wurscher

I put this one on my 1972 Craftsman and have been using it and have been happy (The Shop Fox Classic Fence System w/ Standard Rails ) Required some drilling to attach the rails, but not a very big deal.

Available at Grizzly.com

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#9

Maybe its just me...

John in NM

But fences are one area where I think the industry has taken steps backwards in the last 20 years.

The unifence was my favorite, because I found it very versatile, much more so than the Biesemeyer (the shop I worked for had two saws, one with each). The Biesemeyer was and is a good fence - but it only does one thing. The unifence did a number of set ups very easily. The only thing I didn't like is that it was fussy to move to the other side of the blade compared to the Biesemeyer (double sided).

I can understand why Delta bought out Biesemeyer and discontinued the unifence - but I think they did us all a disservice by doing so.

I'm still running the original jetlock fence on my ancient unisaw. It works well enough once you're used to it. I don't know if one of those could be put on a Craftsman, but I bet you could get one cheap from someone who had to have the Biesemeyer.

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#10

Another vote for Unifence

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Easy to screw to. When ripping it rides between my index and middle finger with thumb pushing, to ensure my hand does not stray. I have no problem adjusting it to tiny fractions of an inch. I'm completely satisfied with it..

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#11

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

CJ in MPLS

I had the Vega fence and it was great. It is a Biesmeyer clone with a fine adjust attached to it. I now have a Sawstop and the fence is merely the biesmeyer clone. I miss the fine adjust mechanism a lot.

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#12

Re: Another vote for Unifence


Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#13

Re: Vega!

Henry (Raleigh)

I second CJ's recommendation. I have a Vega fence that came with my used TS; I've used it for about 20 years now as a amatuer. I love it, especially the micro-adjust feature that CJ mentioned.

Henry

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

#14

Re: Replacement table saw fence recommendations

Hank Knight

I had a Powermatic Artisan contractors saw with a Vega fence. I've since owned a Unisaw with the UniFence and now a SawStop with the Beismeyer clone. My favorite was the Vega with the micro-adjust. Second was the Unifence and last and least is the Beismeyer. If someone would combine the best features of the Unifence (sliding fore and aft and the hi-low option) with the micro adjust of the Vega, they would have the perfect fence. I also had an after-market aluminum extrusion from Mighty-Trac (I think was the name) that fit my Unifence. I liked the T-slots that let me attach all kinds of jigs and fence faces to it, but I did't use that feature nearly as much as I used the micro-adjust feature on the Vega.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.