WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT - stovetop exhaust fan

Posts

OT - stovetop exhaust fan

#1

OT - stovetop exhaust fan

Howard in Toronto

Hi all -

The exhaust fan over the stove stopped working.

It's been in place since we bought the house - 22 years. For the first level of diagnosis, here's what I checked -

- the blades spin freely

- the light works

- the filter is clean

- no breakers have tripped

Any ideas? Or is the thing just toast?

Thanks.

Re: OT - stovetop exhaust fan

#2

Jack Guzman from Maine

toast

Jack Guzman from Maine

I would say that after 22 years that thing has lived out it's purpose. The motor could be burned out or brushes or whatever means of contact is used to power the motor is carboned up. If you had a means to check the motor and components and had the means to repair the problem you would still be dealing with a very used motor. I would go shopping for a nice new exhaust fan.---Jack

Re: OT - stovetop exhaust fan

#3

Re: OT - stovetop exhaust fan

Bill Howatt

These fans tend to use little induction motors like what is called a shaded-pole so there are no brushes (assuming that's what you have). If it is variable speed that you control with a knob, then the controller could be bad. A bad power switch is also a possibility.

If it is controller or switch, getting parts fit the design could be a problem. After 22 years it really doesn't owe you anything and wouldn't a nice, new shiny one look nice in your kitchen! :)

Bill

Re: OT - stovetop exhaust fan

#4

Re: OT - stovetop exhaust fan

Lee Schierer in McKean, PA

I think you got your money's worth. The motor is probably toast.

Lee

Re: OT - stovetop exhaust fan

#5

Re: OT - stovetop exhaust fan

MartinMJ

I had one of these exhaust fans go out and I caught it before it started a fire. Previous home owner did a great deal of fry cooking, this was in the deep south BTW. The wife bought the house several years before we were married. She continued the fry cooking and one day comes to me: the exhaust fan had not been working for a few days. I touched the metal hood near that fan and it was very hot! Killed the breaker since the motor switch was in the off position. This was over 30 years ago so I do not remember if after removal I could spin the blade or if it was 'stuck'. I do remember the inner workings had lots of grease deposits.

Re: OT - stovetop exhaust fan

#6

Thanks everyone

Howard in Toronto

new fan it is

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.