WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Best small table saws?

Posts

Re: Best small table saws?

#26

I’ve hung onto my little 9” Rockwell contracto

Keith Newton

Thinking someday I’d be back to just it. I think I bought it in about 1973, with a 1hp motor, but changed to a Leeson open frame 2hp motor after about one year, and earned my living with it for about five years of job site cabinetry before getting my first Unisaw which I still have, along with a big PM 72. But I can step between the bars and pull the table up to my waist with the legs out front and walk out to the truck easily enough. I’m sure you could fit it with casters to make it easier, but with that 2hp powering a 9” blade, it has the power to rip thick hardwood or knots and the pinch on the back of the blade from tension wood like a big saw.

I’m sure YOU could adapt a better fence than stock, but I’m still using the old one. The sliding table I made for it so many years ago out of 1/2” BB 3’ x 5’ makes cutting half sheets of PW down quick and accurate for cabinet jobs.

I don’t know if they’re still on the marker, but I think I know where I can pick one up dirt cheap for you if it’s still there. Email me if your interested, and I’ll send you the motor model # that I have.

Re: Best small table saws?

#27

Re: Interesting

paul in AZ

Miter slots are 3/4"

The stand has nice snaps to firmly and quickly attach the saw. The whole thing is very stable. No complaints about that although I also wondered about stability.

Re: Best small table saws?

#28

Re: Agreed

Mark Nowicki

"Think in terms of spending more time at the beach and less time in the shop.

Ellis"

Shop; a direct drive table saw with the motor screaming at the top of its lungs trying its hardest to overload a 15 Amp 115V circuit while throwing dust in your face and eyes.

Beach; screaming kids and old Harley geezers trying to impress with their rumble without overloading their pacemakers and the wind throwing tiny bits of silica in your face and eyes.

Tomato, tamato :D

Enjoy whatever you decide.

Re: Best small table saws?

#29

I'm confused...

Mike Farinella

I could have sworn you said you were moving to British Colombia a few years ago.???

My shop is the same size as yours. I have a Saw Stop contractors saw. Yes it's cramped in there, but I have have to do selective projects (as in 'small' projects).

Regardless, tons of well wishes and blessings you way.

Re: Best small table saws?

#30

Re: Best small table saws?

Philip Duffy

Bosch fold-up 10in. saw. Would not trade mine for anything, except a big shop! Philip

Re: Best small table saws?

#31

Clint Searl

Re: My garage saw is the Ridgid portable....

Clint Searl

It's a great saw. With a Freud Fusion 8" blade it'll do just about all that needs to be done.

Re: Best small table saws?

#32

Re: Watch out for that beach stuff

Brian Holcombe

I’d just work without it, 13’ x 21’ will get tight fast. My garage is 10 x 20 and I have a 16” jointer planer, 20” bandsaw and mortise machine along with a dust collector.

Re: Best small table saws?

#33

Re: I also have a  9” Rockwell contractor's saw

CharlieL

I guess it depends on what you want. I personally cannot bring myself to spending the going prices for the newer imported job site saws, I'd rather have a used American made saw. The Rockwell 34-608 nine inch contractor's table saw fits well in the small shop that I have in the basement. It is about 2/3 rds the size of a 10" saw. I added a mobile base , a paddle switch, a link belt, dust collection, and am considering buying a Delta fence for it at what I consider a very reasonable price of $200.

Re: Best small table saws?

#34

E, I've spent 2 days with contractor's Sawstop

Keith Newton

I have to say that I like it better than I would have expected. It has some pretty neat features that make changing blade height and tilt really fast and easy. The fence seems accurate enough, and stows in it's own holster when in put-away mode.

It is powered with a 15 amp universal motor. My friend who owns it had a pretty thick 10" blade, which did fine on the Western Cedar and Pine that we were ripping. He had the larger version SS cabinet saw in his last shop, and hated to give it up, but we're closing in his 20 x 20' car shed for this new downsized shop. I think it will serve him fine, and might be worth taking a look at for you.

The only thing I think might be a problem, is that If someone had one of these saws plus another without the safety feature, it might lead to one developing some sloppy habits that might get you on the other tool. It's like having a smart-phone that has all your phone contacts. Fifteen years ago, I probably could dial 50 phone numbers without looking them up. Now I really have to think before giving my closest friends and family members. If you don't use it, you loose it.

Re: Best small table saws?

#35

Re: E, I've spent 2 days with contractor's Sawstop

Hank Knight

Keith, I hear you about getting too comfortable with the SawStop safety feature, but that's not a problem, at least not for me. I've had a SawStop for 3 or 4 years now and I don't think my vigilance has changed at all with the SawStop. I'm still fearful of running my hand into the screaming beast. The comfort lies in knowing that if I do make a mistake, it won't be as catastrophic as it would have been with my Uni.

Re: Best small table saws?

#36

I only brought that up because,

Keith Newton

I found myself doing something I wouldn't have done with my little Rockwell contractor saw. Specifically, we didn't have a catch table, and I was cutting, while David was nailing. I was having to push hard into the table and fence with lots of wood hanging off the back. Otherwise I would have called for his help, but didn't because I could trust the system.

I say that, while I still have a bit of trepidation. I've seen the demo's where they slowly move in to touch a hotdog. I haven't seen the inventor slam his hand down on top of the spinning blade.

Re: Best small table saws?

#37

Re: E, I've spent 2 days with contractor's Sawstop

William Duffield

It doesn't seem to be a problem for me either. I treat my SawStop the same way I treated all the other table saws I used before I got it. Maybe it's because I know if I make a mistake, I'll need to replace an expensive brake cartridge and an even more expensive saw blade and it will cost me two hours, mileage and bridge tolls to replace them. Maybe it's force of habit. Maybe it's because I know that everything we build has failure modes. There's no such thing as "safe", only "safer". Maybe it's because I know I will need to use less safe table saws in the future (no to mention chop saws, radial arm saws, circular saws, chain saws, etc.), and I need to keep my guard up.

Re: Best small table saws?

#38

I use my Sawstop as if I didn’t trust the system

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I’ve had it for four years and while it’s head and shoulders better than my last contractor saw, which I used for more than 50 years, I still get the willies any time my fingers get too close to the blade. I cut myself once with the TS, 50 years ago. That was enough, a minor nick.

The worst I ever got cut with any saw was with a Disston 8pt crosscut.

Re: Best small table saws?

#39

Re: E, I've spent 2 days with contractor's Sawstop

Jesse Cloud

I logged a few dozen hours on sawstops at a woodworking school. In the time I was there, two "accidents" happened. No one was hurt. I didn't see the accidents, but I heard that in both cases the first thing the end user did was a quick trot to the toilet.

I did notice that both users were extremely safety conscious after their near misses.

BTW, one was caused by starting a rip with the fence unlocked. The other was caused by cutting very wet wood, which apparently fooled the sensors.

Re: Best small table saws?

#40

Re: Best small table saws?

TomD

My shop is 42x14, with a second half story, and my cat can't swing a mouse in there. But for a while it was pretty spacious, and even then the full saw was a terrible nuisance. It was a general with cut down rails.

The saw I use now, having gone about a decade without one is the larger of the two old Incas. There might be some overlap with the Hammond, though it looks far more limited in blade size, and specialized for it's original task.

There are 6 disadvantages to the Inca:

1) Doesn't fully retract 10 inch blades, which doesn't bother me as I like using smaller blades

2) Uses non-standard bore size. I have the machinery to do the cuts myself. But I guess 20mm is a standard size somewhere, and with the internet, it shouldn't be hard to find. Lee Valley or US sellers may even have stock. Not everything is in the catalog. Ofcourse, 20mm is better

3) Slow to raise or lower blade height, I rig a drill driver.

4) The table goes up and down, which is a problem if you intend to use outfeed tables, though I don't.

5) The blade angle adjusts by means of the table. This is actually an advantage in many cases, but certainly not if you do some kinds of cutting that require fiddling with the blade endlessly.

6) Not your granddaddy's table saw. so everything is a little different, which can be a safety advantage, or not, depending on how you learn.

The advantages are:

1) Cheap if sometimes difficult to find second hand (there seem to be a lot in Cali, I found lots around Toronto, and was briefly the second hand Inca dealer as I bought up lots)

2) Aluminum construction means moving it outside, or moving it generally is as easy as some of those table top contractor saws, yet it is made for precision. And in this weight class you are dealing with a real Leason, say, and a belt. Simple and machined dead nuts.

3) Zero ownership cost, as far as buying and reselling, they are already fully marked down.

4) Designed in the post war, unlike the US counterparts that haven't been upgraded since the Civil War, this is a huge safety factor. The saw doesn't need SS because they made it right from the beginning, though in fairness, it doesn't meet current EU standards, though I doubt a Delta would have met the standards an Inca was designed with back when they were originally made. Most of the problems of safety are just a mater of not doing certain things I don't do anyway. Basically just the tilting table. Some cuts are safer with a tilting table, and some cuts are suicidal. The problem being that one has to know the difference which is not something a saw should require of you, I guess.

5) Built with Swiss precision.

My second choice and I have had one of these since my Dad bought it, is the Rockwell Beaver 9". I have the contractor version, but for a while owned the cabinet version that had the skirt below the table executed in sculptural cast iron. These are just smaller versions of a Unisaw, though they vary in what the guts are hanging from, which I believe is a the table, so not Uni in that regard, but the experience is Uni on a small scale. I suspect my current contractor version, my Dad's saw, is currently underwater in the NB floods. These things sell for under 100 dollars, and are old world quality. I bought the mint cabinet version I had for a while, for 60 Canadian. There are many similar brands in this category. Not safe for nitwits. This would be my first choice if I wanted the American style saw, and it is productive. These saws take up a lot more space than the Inca. Reducing the size of a Uni type saw, solves some of the problems that are inherent in them. I kinda like the euro saws that are redesigned to have ergonomic and safety features, but I feel fine on the American saw, and don't feel I need a doomsday machine attached to it to blow it up before I hurt myself.

For those who have loose miter slots, if we are talking slightly loose you just peen them with a punch. They are supposed to need that. I seem to recall they used to sell stocks that had screw adjust in them.

Re: Best small table saws?

#41

DeWalt 700 series jobsite saws

Ian Neuhaus

when I compared the Bosch and DeWalt, I concluded the DeWalt had a much better fence.

Table size (with all jobsite saws) might be an issue when cross cutting.

But it's possible to build the DeWalt (and Bosch) saws into one end of an out-feed table.

Re: Best small table saws?

#42

Re: Used Unisaw

TomD

"As for your shop size, it is hardly tiny. In fact that in more acreage than I have in the part of my shop where woodworking is done. It way more than out local Cartouche winner used to build a house full of Period furniture."

Pros and other well organized individuals can work in very small spaces because they are not trying to make everything in a shop. This also goes for amateurs who have the sense to specialize in one or a few products, or techniques. But if you want to do it all, even if you are pretty ruthless about it, you need a lot more space.

I would regard a table saw as a specialized device, just talking about it is forcing choices on Ellis. I never sold my bandsaw, but I have been in and out on my table saw. And I have probably a dozen power tools I would keep before I kept a table saw. I have 4 bandsaws I would rather have, though only 3 of them at the moment. I have one to cut metal, and one large shop saw. I also got a free Inca 2 wheel, and I am keeping it around until I use up the 10 blades that came with it, it has all the advantages the Inca TS has in a badsawy way. I could also use a butcher's saw, but not from my current urban perch.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.