WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Question on River tables/Epoxy fill

Posts

Question on River tables/Epoxy fill

#1

Question on River tables/Epoxy fill

Barry Irby

I see endless references to river table and pieces with large voids filled with epoxy. Not sure I really like it but it might be interesting.

The question is the long term durability. Just seems it would pull apart after a few seasonal cycles. Does anyone have long term experience with filling voids? Do they hold up?

(I know they use various things as filler and with various hardness's, but it seems that the soft stuff would not be good for a table.)

Re: Question on River tables/Epoxy fill

#2

River Table Tops

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

The two halves should have some mechanical joiners in the middle (I used long dominos dyed to match the epoxy). The way the fill/wood joint with be stable and the two boards can freely expand and contract without putting any stress on the resin-wood bond.

Re: Question on River tables/Epoxy fill

#3

Thanks, I thought I finally asked the.....

Barry Irby

unanswerable question. It was looking like an orphan.

Good thought, I like your approach. If I do one of these, I will take your approach.

Re: Question on River tables/Epoxy fill

#4

Amazing

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

How mant [many] typos I can pack into a single sentence!!!

Sheesh . . . .

ps: glad you deciphered the answer

Re: Question on River tables/Epoxy fill

#5

Kneale Brownson

It pays to reread before posting.


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.