WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Building code question,

Posts

Building code question,

#1

Building code question,

Keith Newton

I'm helping a friend add a screened porch onto the back of his house. The new roof will T into the old. I'm wondering what the code requires for the new valleys. The pitch of the house is 3-12, and the new porch is 4.5"-12, so the ridge comes in almost even with the other. The old roof is also 1x6 pine lumber instead of plywood. Can I lay a 2x8 flat on top of the old roof, with the edge beveled to match the jack tail? Or does the code require the rafters to be cut for a valley like building from scratch?

And is there a site where I can just google this question, which goes right to the answer?

Re: Building code question,

#2

Re: Building code question,

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I don’t know what the code is where you live. I live in MN. I built an addition onto my house and did all the work up to the rafters. I hired the carpenter who built my house to help set the rafters, and he did exactly as you describe, laid a 2X6 flat on the existing roof and cut the jacks to fit.

Re: Building code question,

#3

Re: Building code question,

Barry Irby

I believe you can do it as you describe. The best answer is to check with your local code officials.

If I were doing it I would double up on the piece laying flat on the roof so that the heel of the jack rafter would rest on the "inner" piece. Not sure that is required, but it makes sense to me that the heel needs to be supported.

Also, you do not need to taper the edge of the bearing piece. The polywood sheathing will bridge the gap.

Line the valley with Ice and Water Shield.

Re: Building code question,

#4

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Building code question,

Jack Guzman from Maine

Codes vary according to the area you are in. Every town around here has their own code enforcement officer and the codes are exclusive to the town that sets them. I'm assuming this is a common system in the US. Find your local code officer to get your answer.

Re: Building code question,

#5

Re: Building code question,

Don Stephan

I third local the suggestion to check with local building officials. Almost certainly the local authority would require a building permit, could cause significant problems if built without a permit, and in my opinion is cheap insurance against mistakes. Others will no doubt have different opinions, which is fine.

Re: Building code question,

#6

Thanks ALL. 


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.