WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Cutting Plywood

Posts

Cutting Plywood

#1

Cutting Plywood

Doug Reynolds

Is there a free computer program that will direct me to the best way to cut sheet goods to get maximum yield i.e., the usual 4X8 sheet of plywood and the odd 5X5 sheet of Baltic birch? I need lots of drawer parts and usually end up measuring once and cutting twice and having a pile of "shorts" despite my best efforts.

TIA, Doug in Seattle

P.S. I know most people think it rains here in Seattle all the time. So far, this is the forth wettest April in recorder history.

Re: Cutting Plywood

#2

Re: Cutting Plywood

Richard Long

Try this this site. I have used it once and it worked well.

https://www.optimalon.com/online_cut_optimizer.htm

Re: Cutting Plywood

#3

Re: Cutting Plywood

Bruce Schoenleber

Nice piece of software. Is there a way to set the grain orientation? I learned the old fashioned way, always cut the largest piece first, then the next largest from the smallest cuttoff possible, rinse, repeat.

Re: Cutting Plywood

#4

Re: Cutting Plywood

John K Jordan

I've done it with CAD before, quick, depending on how good you are with packing.

JKJ

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.