WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

Posts

Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#1

Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

Stephen Roth

I am wiring up my new Powermatic Planer, 230 Volt - Single Phase. So that I can use the same outlet as an adjacent tool, I am using a NEMA 14-30 4-wire outlet, and a 4-wire cord with matching plug. When the cord terminates at the planer, there is wiring for the 2 hots, and the ground, but no place for the neutral. The manual states that to wire the unit, I only need the 2 hots and ground (which is fine ... I understand that craziness of electricity).

My question is, what do I do with the unused neutral leg of the cord when it gets to the planer.... Screw it to the machine housing, or just cap it off with a wire nut?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#2

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circ

John K Jordan

I cap unused wires with a wire nut, leaving enough wire in the box for future use if necessary. Do not ground.

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#3

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circ

Mark Nowicki

" So that I can use the same outlet as an adjacent tool, I am using a NEMA 14-30 4-wire outlet, and a 4-wire cord with matching plug. "

I don' understand this part.

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#4

4-wire

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Running a 240 circuit with 4-wire (2 hots, a white common/neutral, and a ground) allows you to either split the feed into two 120v feeds or maintain the main 240v but take a 120 aux receptacle off the side using one hot and the common. The common is capped in the box when not used. Examples are a feed for a 240v lathe or band saw coupled with one or more accessory work lights using 120v or an outlet for a 120v power tool like a drill or sander.

PS: This NOT the way to get two 120v circuits by pulling a single cable. Proper way is to run separate 3-wire cables off of separate breakers. If you establish the 120v aux receptacle, make sure that the 240 breaker is one that will trip the entire circuit if there's a short in the 120v feed.

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#5

Cap it...

John in NM

The only place that the neutral (white) wire should be grounded is at your service panel.

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#6

Re: 4-wire

Mark Nowicki

To eliminate the need for the red ink I would pull two wires, one for the 240V and another one for 120V each protected by its own breaker.

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#7

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circ

Wayne

You can use a 3 wire cable and only connect the two hot terminals and the ground

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#8

Agreed


Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#9

Thanks

Stephen Roth

Thanks for the help.

To clarify some issues that my help others, here is some more detail....

I have a number of 230V 30 amp tools that are on mobile bases. There are a plethora of outlet configurations for 30 amp plugs. Since many 230V tools come without a cord (probably for this reason), I thought it would be easier to have a consistent outlet/plug configuration around the shop for my 30 amp tools. That way I can move the tools around without extension cords. (FYI, each outlet is run to a separate 230V 30 Amp breaker, although the odds of running two tools at the same time are very low.)

The problem is that some tools (like SawStop) have a 4 wire configuration at the tool, and others (like the Powermatic) have 3 wire. I assume SawStop needs the neutral for the 120 electronics (as Mark mentioned).

So I end up with a extra neutral wire that runs to the Powermatic. Even though it is not needed, I thought there could be some advantage to ground it. Apparently not, so I will cap it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#10

Re: Cap it...

Stephen Roth

Thanks!

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#11

Re: 4-wire

Bill Howatt

Why do you say this in "Not the way...". This is a multi-wire branch circuit and is legal but requires a double-breaker across the 2 different hot lines and the neutral is to be connected with a cap - not using 2 of the neutral screws on the receptacle.

Bill

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#12

Not The Way

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

in the context of the OP's description of using a single breaker (bridged) for the circuit. If two, completely independent, breakers are used, I agree there's no problem, but that's not what he was describing for his usage.

I actually use a 4-wire feed for my lathe with a branch aux 120 receptacle but it's a GFCI and will trip long before the main 240 pops so the circuit is safe.

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#13

Re: Not The Way

Ed Wozniak-Buffalo, NY

Mark,

I would expect your GFCI to trip only if there is a ground fault. It should not trip due to an overload condition.

Re: Another question about a Neutral in a 230 Circuit

#14

True, But

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

the aux receptacle is only used for light loads like a fan, a mini spotlight, or a corded hand drill for power sanding turnings.

When I sell this place, this and several other circuits will be removed so I'm not worried about someone abusing the set-up later.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.