WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

after market source Domino bits?

Posts

after market source Domino bits?

#1

after market source Domino bits?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I have seen an ad for "generic" domino bits but can't recall where. Anyone know?

Re: after market source Domino bits?

#2

Re: after market source Domino bits?

Barry Irby

Check out Seneca Woodworking. They make a number of attachments and accessories and they have bits. I noticed some in "American" sizes.

Re: after market source Domino bits?

#3

Re: after market source Domino bits?

Jesse Cloud

CMT makes them. too. Any vendor that carries a good stock of CMT bits would have (or be happy to order for you) them.

I bought a few. Much cheaper than OEM, but more chatter and a rougher cut, probably not a problem for most folks, don't think it would impact the quality of your build as long as you go slow with the plunge which is a good idea anyhow.

Re: after market source Domino bits?

#4

Question

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

do CMT bits look different, is the cutting geometry different?

Re: after market source Domino bits?

#5

Re: Question

Jesse Cloud

Only difference I see is cosmetic, the CMT orange vs more modest labeling on the Festool brand. Very subjective, but they feel a little looser when threading the bit on to the post.

Domino bits last a few long time. So I don't plan to be in the market anytime soon, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy either type. You can also get Festool bits in a pack of several to save money if you need several (e.g., just getting started).

Re: after market source Domino bits?

#6

Re: Question

Barry Irby

I have a DF500 and was wondering if the bits would fit it. Looked up the CMT bits on Amazon. The CMT bits get very mixed reviews. 5 stars and 1 star only. Numerous people complaining the CMT bits broke and some saying the cut and chip clearing are not as good as Festool bits. Almost all of them said Festool bits last a long time and do a good job. As much as I love a bargain I think I will stick with the original.

Re: after market source Domino bits?

#7

Re: Question

Ken Krawford

I realize that my experience may have been entirely different than everyone else's but I broke my original Festool bit after about a dozen plunges. They replaced it but I was surprised to see it die so quickly. I also purchased a CMT bit and it's running fine after many uses.

Re: after market source Domino bits?

#9

The Source

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

of All Things:

Amazon

;)

Re: after market source Domino bits?

#10

Re: where did you buy CMT bit

Jesse Cloud

Just google "CMT bit for domino". There are lots of sellers.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.