WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Steam bending!! *LINK*

Posts

Steam bending!! *LINK*

#1

JL

Steam bending!! *LINK*

JL

Do not try this at home. Those are some pretty thick planks.


Steam Bending

Re: Steam bending!! *LINK*

#2

Re: Steam bending!!

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I won't be trying that at home! It looks like those guys have a pretty good handle on it, though. All my grandparents are Scandinavian, but I never picked up either Norwegian or Swedish. Too bad, I'd like to know what they said.

Re: Steam bending!! *LINK*

#3

Re: Steam bending!!

Chuck Bjorgen

Same here, Bruce. With my last name the best I can do is oofda and that’s probably more Minnesotan than Scandinavian.

Re: Steam bending!! *LINK*

#4

Fascinating video

Howard in Toronto

Amazing what you can accomplish with ancient techniques and processes, no matter how big the job - wedges and massive pinch dogs.

I was impressed by the good faith (and eye-to-hand coordination) exhibited by the one guy holding a plank in place while the other guy's swinging a giant sledge hammer inches away from his chest....

Thanks for putting that up.

Re: Steam bending!! *LINK*

#5

Re: Steam bending!!

Don Orr

That was pretty cool-or actually hot I guess. We did something very similar when Building the Onrust several years ago. We used a Dutch technique of "fire bending" which used open fires to heat and bend very wet green White Oak in thicknesses from 1" up to 2.5 " and 6"-8" or more wide. Up near the bow these planks would bend and twist in several directions in 1 length. Quite impressive to see the wood flex in such a way. The old shipwrights must have been amazing.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.