WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

deck

Posts

deck

#1

deck

art demers

I have a 10x20 foot TREX deck about 12 feet high I was thinking about caulking the seams between boards and making an outdoor place where I could paint use ca glue and anything that need a lot of ventalatoin whacha think bout that do you think that will work.

Re: deck

#2

Re: deck

Bill Howatt

Why do you feel it is necessary to fill the gaps between the boards?

If it is because you don't want anything to drip through to whatever is underneath, I think I would just put down a plastic table cloth from the dollar store and work on that which would also keep the paint etc off the Trex.

Bill

Re: deck

#3

Re: deck

Dick Coers

I thought Trex had a huge coefficient of expansion. I'd doubt you can find caulk that would move that much after curing. No idea where you live, but around here you would have ice and slush issues on top of the deck since it would have trouble draining.

Re: deck

#4

Re: deck

art demers

I live in new england but not there in winter I was thinking more or less this could be a roof to keep rain out did not think about expansion of the trex just trying to stay dry.

Re: deck

#5

Re: deck

Walter Ahlgrim

If you are not opposed to spending money there do make series of aluminum pans installed as a ceiling to catch the water and drain it away.

https://www.google.com/search?q=under+deck+drainage+system&oq=under+deck+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.9973j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Walta

Re: deck

#6

Re: deck

AZ in Colorado Springs

Some friends here in Colorado Springs tried something similar using corrugated plastic material, sloped to drain away, and several critters made their homes in that space. Beware!

Re: deck

#7

Re: deck

Barry Irby

Over thirty years ago I built an interesting house for a client. Designed to be very energy efficient. Backed into a hillside and super insulated. Lots of solar gain through glass in the roof. The architect left a LOT of details up to me, like how to seal the glass.

One feature was a long deck above the walkway to the front door. I had a series of troughs fabricated out of aluminum and installed them between the joists for the deck and sloped to the outside. Along the side there was a gutter that caught the water and delivered it to the ground. Assuming that critters and debris would find their way under the the decking we made the deck floor out of a series of "pallets" or squares that could be lifted out to clean under them. The whole thing worked well. There was a ceiling below to improve the appearance. A side benefit was it kept the water off the joists and framing and it lasted better than most.

Re: deck

#8

Re: deck

art demers

Thanks AZ that what I did corragated fiberglass it worked great for severral years then a corner collapsed. A nest of critters about 50 pounds worth knocked it down, leaves pine needles lint from I don't where rafters all chewed up what a mess . I guess now I just won't go out in the rain . thanks for all your input Art

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.