WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Third arm/hand??

Posts

Third arm/hand??

#1

JL

Third arm/hand??

JL

There are many times when I wish I had a third arm or hand.

For my lathe, I have a nice stand and nozzle for the dust collection.

I also have a hood that I can place on the bench for routing and sanding.

Not so much for drilling on the drill press. There are times when it is really nice to clear chips and sawdust as you go.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Basically I would like something to hold and roughly aim the nozzle of my shop vacuum hose so it would clear chips while drilling. It would also cool things - such as the bit.

Re: Third arm/hand??

#2

Kneale Brownson

Re: Third arm/hand??

Kneale Brownson

I'd fab something like this to go on top of a Fastcap Third Hand pole.


img

Re: Third arm/hand??

#3

Re: Third arm/hand??

Gary Smyth



Attach adjustable height arm to vacuum or make a base. Fit hose to diameter of slot, move to the area you want.

For permanent placement I'd reconsider.

Re: Third arm/hand??

#4

what I use

John K Jordan

I use an articulating arm on a magnetic base. One knob releases and secures all pivot points.


This one is a cheap copy of the $100 Noga I use with my milling machine but it seems to work ok:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5T2ZA8

JKJ

Re: Third arm/hand??

#5

Re: Third arm/hand??

William Duffield

Instead of attaching the column to the vac with parts "C", "G" and "E" in your diagram, I'm thinking a short section of the extension tubing to shove into one of the accessory holders that are usually arrayed around the bottom of the can might hold it well enough. That would sure be a lot easier to remove when you need to empty the can or use it for other clean up tasks.

Another way to simplify the connection of the hose to the post could use one or two of these ball bungee cords with holes or screw hooks in the top of the arm:


Re: Third arm/hand??

#6

Re: Third arm/hand??

Hank Knight

Here's mine:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24FtnAe][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/24FtnAe]IMG_0450[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/158680038@N03/]Hank Knight[/url], on Flickr

Re: Third arm/hand??

#7

Re: Third arm/hand??

AZ in Colorado Springs

I juse a squeeze clamp from time to time to clamp the hose to the drill press table. I get the end of the hose near the drilling point, the set a clamp on the hose at the edge of the table.

Re: Third arm/hand??

#9

JL

Where did you get those fittings?

JL

That looks neat! That would definitely do the trick for repeated drilling.

Re: Third arm/hand??

#10

Re: Third arm/hand?? *LINK*

john lucas

Well they aren't cheap. Especially once you add in the price of the various clamps that go on either end, but these things are fantastic. Manfrotto magic arms. We used them a lot at my photo studio. I still can't afford them for my retirement studio but I dream about them a lot.


https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553825-REG/Manfrotto_244_244_Variable_Friction_Magic.html

Re: Third arm/hand??

#11

Re: Where did you get those fittings?

Hank Knight

JL, the column clamps came from Peachtree Woodworking:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/drillPress_dust_collection.html

The 2 1/2" collection hoses are a Loc-line product and are available lots of places (I don't remember where I got mine). The ones on the Peachtree site look similar to my Loc-line hoses.

http://www.loc-line.com/products/2-5-vacuum-hose/standard-vacuum/

My dust collection set-up has 6" ductwork. I used a splitter like the one in John's photo behind his lathe to divide the 6" duct into two 4" ones, and then used reducers on each of the 4" hoses to accommodate the 2 1/2" Loc-line fittings.

Hope this helps.

Hank

Re: Third arm/hand??

#12

JL

Thanks


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.