WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Air or electric brad nailer?

Posts

Air or electric brad nailer?

#1

Air or electric brad nailer?

Tom dunlap

I've got a Harbor Freight air brad nailer that works well enough.

Now I've got a project where I need longer brads so I'm at a crossroads.

Is there a compelling reason for air or electric?

It seems like electric would be more convenient

Thanks

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

#2

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

Hoa in Alameda

"longer brads"

How long? And into what kind of material?

I'm not sure now whether the technology has improved. But years ago, "electric brad nailers" were oftentimes called "electric brad starters" for their (lack of) power. You'd still need a hammer to finish the job.

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

#3

Air Is The Way To Go

David Yoho

The first brad nailer I bought was electric and often left the brads above the surface. Then I got an air powered brad gun that shoots 2-inch brads into hardwood just fine.

My friend got a cordless brad nailer for Christmas that isn't bad but still leaves them stopped above the surface more than an air powered version does.

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

#4

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

Jack Guzman from Maine

Tom, I like my bostich 2" brad nailer and it was cheap compared to others. It uses air.

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

#5

pin nailer

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

On a whim I bought a pin nailer and have found it handy for furniture making. Which brings us to air. Any sized compressor will run all the possible nailing devices. If you go air an easily portable, quiet, compressor is desirable.

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

#7

Re: Air Is The Way To Go

Gary Smyth


My little one lunger weighs less than fifteen pounds and will drive brads flush without problems. Not the greatest air capacity, but for small jobs not a major concern. Go with air.

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

#8

Air it is...which brand?

Tom dunlap

From the responses here and reading reviews on line air makes sense

Now...time to buy

This is for occasional personal use. I've settled 18ga/2". Maybe nail/staple model

Desalt reconditioned tools have been a good value in the past. I found. Wen at HD for under $30 with nails. Wen has struck me as equal to Harbor Freight. For $50 I find a DW. Is there a compelling difference in a more expensive nailer?

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

#9

18ga/2"

Hoa in Alameda

For 2", I'd go 16 ga.

I have an AccuSet 18ga/2". I don't want to use it for brads longer than 1.5".

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

#10

Senco Finish-Pro 25

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Driven 2" brads in (through) ash.

Difference is no oil and no jams. I've used the gun for trim moldings and "put a brad in it 'till the glue dries" situations.

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

#11

Review of cordless brad nailers

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

May "The Family Handyman"

Almost all models drive a 2" nail through oak. The most significant disadvantages seem to be weight(between 5 and 8 pounds, size and cost not counting compressor.

Re: Air or electric brad nailer?

#12

Re: Review...thanks

Tom dunlap

Thanks for catching that. Next time I make a supply run I'll read the reviews

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.