WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Speaking of woodworking.....

Posts

Speaking of woodworking.....

#1

Speaking of woodworking.....

Barry Irby

I watched a Youtube video of someone making 2 1/4" square table legs of maple. He laminated a sandwich of one good layer of maple, two crappy layers and another good layer. Jointed the two edges, ripped both good faces and laminated the off cuts onto the two edges and then cleaned it all up.

He had a shop full of equipment. Spent a lot of time.

It dawned on me that the wood was the cheapest part. It would have been cheaper, easier, and faster to just buy the right wood to start with.

Wonder if I learned any lesson?

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#2

lesson learned

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

"Wonder if I learned any lesson? "

Don't learn your woodworking from U-Tube videos.

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#3

But Everybody's An Expert

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

on You Tube, right?

Like, they couldn't say all that stuff if it wasn't true, right?

;)

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#4

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

John K Jordan

Assuming there were no comments or other information you didn't share perhaps there was a reason.

Maybe where he lived maple was rare and exotic, expensive, or not available. Or maybe the better wood had special significance such as was from a family tree that his mother planted and now he's building something for to honor her since she recently passed away. Or maybe he really liked that wood and wanted it all the way around but only had a little. Maybe he did it just to see if he could or to demonstrate a technique to someone who asked how or dared him. Maybe he's a recovering addict or vet with PTSD turning his life around and working with scraps in his kind uncle's shop. Or maybe he's doing the best he can.

One thing I've learned from life is when I make assumptions I am often wrong.

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#5

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

Barry Irby

I have done many of those things. Maybe the lesson was not to do that if there is not a good reason.

My grandparents were children of the Depression. I grew up in their house and absorbed many lessons. Share. Don't say anything when you have nothing nice to say. If you are going to grow a garden, grow a big one, so you can share. Take something of everything offered at the dinner table and eat it all. And I still have a few pieces of walnut that my Grandfather cut before I was born. It's pretty crappy wood because he gave the best of it to his friend. I stretch it as far as I can.

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#6

Re: But Everybody's An Expert

Barry Irby

I am sure the current administration will install extreme vetting on Youtube. The current vetting sure needs an upgrade. I watch some of it and say "That's just Dumb".

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#7

Nah

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

"Fake News"

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#8

To do or not to do.

Hoa in Alameda

>> Wonder if I learned any lesson?

It depends, Barry.

Usually there is a single version of the lecture/video; but there are two lessons: one teaches how to do it, and the other teaches how NOT to do it.

What lesson to pick is left as an exercise for the reader.

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#9

Actually

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I suspect it's an example of an established way of using up crappy lumber, and, at the same time, getting a leg with straight edge grain on all four faces. Goal, straight gran down the length, is the poor man's alternative to what Stickley did with his "quadralinear" white oak legs.

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#10

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

pecker

I have done exactly what he did. Why? To get a 2-1/4" square leg I would have needed to start with 10/4 rough lumber, which is not easy to find. And I already had plenty of 3/4 to work with.

And you also get face grain on all sides of the leg this way, instead of edge grain on 2 sides.

The tools and the time to do it I already had.

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#11

Ellis Walentine

 


Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#12

Re: Nah

TMStock

Just imagine when the first books came out spilling all those trade secrets the guilds wanted protected...or erroneous info from gentlemen woodworkers. Nothing new...just different media channel.

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#13

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

Brian Holcombe

I pose that many people react to YouTube by assuming that becuase one shares that they’re an implied teacher. Some share just to share, some share to teach, some share to compare technique.

A comment stuck with me, often applied to finance but it works here. The comment was to avoid making the good into the enemy of the great. YouTube is the good, it’s a format where anyone can post a video, they’re not vetted in any way. Some people who post are expert and it’s your job to search them out. The great usually comes by either sweat or payment.

Re: Speaking of woodworking.....

#14

Ellis Walentine

Same thing pertains here

Ellis Walentine

As with YouTube, the online forum offers diversity that gives readers a "look around" a subject, as opposed to just one person's opinion. Even experts can learn from others' experience. You just need to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Ellis

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.