WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

The other thing I got at auction....

Posts

The other thing I got at auction....

#1

The other thing I got at auction....

Barry Irby

is 36 gallons of ML Campbell Lacquer thinner. Might be a lifetime supply. Anybody have experience with this brand of lacquer thinner?

I would sell some here but I don't know how easy it would be to ship. Might have to be local pick up.

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#2

Gotta ask...

Mark Nowicki

Where do you store all this junk?

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#3

And

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Does he have a haz-mat license to do so?

:D

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#4

Jack Guzman from Maine

Need

Jack Guzman from Maine

The main problem with a score like that is what you will ever need that much for. I scored a 5 gallon jug of alcohol 20 or so years ago and I still have most of a full jug. Nice to have when working with shellac.---Jack

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#5

Re: And

Barry Irby

No Haz Mat license and not much storage either.

I got the lacquer thinner for less than half of what it sells for retail. I will sell half of it and have the other half free. And even half is a lifetime supply.

As far as the vacuum jugs below are concerned I had eight and gave away two. if they don't serve any useful purpose, I will sell them or trash them. Somebody else did not want them and left them behind. I will get enough for them to buy lunch for a couple of us.

As a hobby, going to the auctions is a lot cheaper than golf or fishing or woodworking. Fun to see what fell off the truck this week.

There were several truck hoods/front ends for road tractors there. Peterbilt. I considered buying them and putting them on one of my houses as dormers. Perfect for a rental if you might be a Redneck.....

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#6

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

del schisler

that is the only kind i used when i was sprying lacquer only used M.L.CAMPBEL brand . very good thinner used this for 8 yrs of so

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#7

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

Don Stephan

Someone using your name (?) just a few weeks ago was describing a need to eliminate acquisitions to make space . . .

How big is your fireproof storage chest? I'm getting the willies just trying to imagine the blast and conflagration if even 5 gallons was stored in a structure that caught fire or was hit by lightning.

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#8

All kidding aside....

Mark Nowicki

... and knowing that talking safety with the 60 and older crowd is like Bogart asking for badges, however:

according to NFPA 10 standard, 35 gallons of flammable liquids puts one in the "Extra Hazard" category when deciding the placement and quantity of portable fire extinguishers.

35 gallons is about four times the legal limit you can carry if you want to drive through any tunnels in the Montreal area.

transferring flammable liquids from large containers into smaller ones (hey, maybe I can use those plastics containers I picked up at auction) without taking measures to discharge static electricity could make for an interesting fireworks display.

I can't think of a better way to shorten a lifetime than having hazardous, flammable and explosive liquids in "lifetime" quantities.

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#9

Ok, OK, some good sense here....

Barry Irby

I hate it when intelligence takes over from having a good time. Buzz kill.

I only brought four gallons home. I have a fire rated cabinet. (Also from the auction) I will put a proper fire extinguisher near the door.

The stuff I left behind in the warehouse, I will sell.

And, I threw away more stuff than I brought in. I am slowly getting into this throwing it away thing. Feels good after the initial shock.

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#10

Re: Ok, OK, some good sense here....

Mark Nowicki

Now you know why I don't get too many party invitations.. :D

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#11

I was just thinking....

John in NM

Maybe a flame cabinet will turn up for you in an auction - and then I read your reply! You're already miles ahead of the rest of us just having a safe place to store your flammables, so take these guys with a shaker or so of salt! :D

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#12

Flammable Cabinet.....

Barry Irby

My friend actually earns part of his income from the freight auctions. The joke is that he goes there for the previews and sees lots of stuff that he could resell. I just see a bunch of cardboard boxes.

I look for things I can use. Right now I am "shopping" for some plastic deck boards. My deck is shot and I either can't or won't afford the high dollar stuff, but it shows up at the auction fairly often, so I am in the hunt.

As for flame cabinets, he has bought probably 20 over the years. These are the real deal. Various sizes. Some damaged and some not or so slightly damaged it does not matter. They resell readily.

Re: The other thing I got at auction....

#13

JL

Re: Flammable Cabinet...(and safety)

JL

About flammable cabinets...

They should be grounded to a decent ground.

Many flammable cabinets have connections for venting vapors - so make sure that the "bungs" are tight and the vapor holes either sealed or properly vented.

Do you have a spill kit?

Do you the proper disposal available for spilled material (if you do spill any).

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.