WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Spiral Question

Posts

Spiral Question

#1

Spiral Question

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I'm thinking about upgrading my jointer to an 8" with spiral head, Question is of there is any real (performance/value) difference between the original "Byrd/Shelix" heads and the knock-offs used by JET, etc.??

tia

Re: Spiral Question

#2

Re: Spiral Question

kruizen

I think that you will find that most of the "knock-offs" are not true spiral cutter heads.

The inserts are square and parallel to the head then staggered around the cutter head so the cutting action where the blade meets the wood is essentially the same as a standard long blade just shorter.

On the Shelix type inserts they are rotated on the head and they are not actually square but rather have around a 4 inch radius on the sides of the inserts.

Re: Spiral Question

#3

"4" radius"?

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Something wrong here.

Have you used both so as to compare performance?

Re: Spiral Question

#4

Re: "4" radius"?

kruizen

Sorry to upset you. I only have a shelix head. So my response was only based on my research before making a fairly major purchase for me.

Here is a explanation of the 4" radius.


Re: Spiral Question

#5

Re: "4" radius"?

TMStock

I've used both the Griz spiral and Byrd helical cutting heads on my GO490 (retrofit Byrd) and a former student's GO656X with Griz spiral head...no meaningful difference that I've seen, and a lot of our work is with highly figured hardwoods for resaw (luthiery stuff). The spiral head may leave some widely spaced .001" h x .002" w raised lines on some stock (mostly greener stuff), but that is only an issue where the surface will be used 'as-is'...a quick pass with P220 on a ROS or a swipe with a scraper or plane removes any mill marks.

If retrofitting, I think I'd still go with Byrd based on US sourcing, but I'd wait until Griz put them on sale. FWIW, my GO490 with steel knives + Byrd head (on sale) was less expensive than the GO490X with Griz spiral head, and I was able to sell the straight knife cutterhead for about $80 on top of that...no-brainer and I like the parallelogram table adjustments (after years of using the Delta DJ-15 and DJ-20 models in other shops).

Both heads will leave a true, tear-out free surface on anything up to and including curly ipe (which is essentially organic concrete, as far as steel blades are concerned).

Re: Spiral Question

#6

Ah Ha!

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Not upset, just had no idea of what radius you could be talking about. Didn't think it could be the radius of the cutter head.

Re: Spiral Question

#7

Thanks!

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Just what I was looking for. I may upgrade the jointer but retrofit the planer with a Byrd head.

Re: Spiral Question

#8

Re: Thanks!

TMStock

No insight on planers, but good luck!

Re: Spiral Question

#9

Re: Spiral Question

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

I have a Grizzly spiral inserted head on my 8" joiner, and a Byrd head on my 20" planer. As far as I can tell, there is NO difference in the quality of cut!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.