WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Table Top Grain Line

Posts

Table Top Grain Line

#1

Table Top Grain Line

Bill Marr

Gentlemen,

In making a Shaker candle stand, I used a quartersawn cherry for the 18 inch round top. In doing so I used a single board that I milled to 9/16ths, glued four panels together and cut it round on the bandsaw. After sanding the completed table to 600 grit, I decided to go with a boiled linseed oil and shellac finish. After applying the BLO I noticed that the top had a perfect line down the center where the panels were glued together. The line is not from glue but from the light hitting the grain that apparently is running in opposite directions. When you walk up to the table your eye goes right to it as one side is light and the other side is darker. This is very distracting and I feel the need to replace the top. I don’t normally make furniture however I did make a maple Shaker nightstand last year and did not have this issue. Perhaps I was just lucky when I glued the top panels together. Next time I think I’ll cut the ends off each panel and wipe with BLO to see how the light is hitting it before the glue-up. Is this a common concern. I would welcome your input. Thanks.

Bill

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#2

Normal for book matched and similar panels

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Some don't like the effect and others, myself included, do like it. In any case it is a normal result of gluing boards where the grain is standing somewhat on end but going in opposite directions. It creates a light trap where the grain is rising toward viewer. Car companies go to a lot of trouble to get this effect with metallic coatings.

If you want to avoid it in the future when you glue up panels look at the edges of the lumber. Glue so grain is running the same slope in each. The result will likely be a less pretty top for grain match but you will avoid the light dark effect.

600 grit is way overkill on sanding. 220 max.

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#3

Re: Table Top Grain Line

Don Stephan

If memory correct, the effect is called chatoyance. I have seen the effect within a board, with lighter and darker areas reversing when the board is viewed from opposite ends of the board. I also like the effect as it is a reminder that the material is a natural product and not artificial. Many don't like the light and dark areas created by applying oil to cherry, which has the derogatory name of blotching, but I like that also, for the same reason.

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#4

Re: Table Top Grain Line

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Bill, this is common with bookmatched panels. The grain of each is reversed, and light affects each differently. I consider the effect an interesting characteristic, not "like" or "dislike".

This was ageature in the kitchen I built last year, where every door was a Hard Maple bookmatched panel ...


Regards from Auckland, New Zealand

Derek

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#5

OK Derek, I gots to know....

Barry Irby

What is "ageature"? I know a few arcain and seldom seen woodworking terms but this one has escaped me (and Google).

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#6

Re: OK Derek, I gots to know....

William Duffield

Looks like a typo to me. I think he means "a feature."

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#7

Yes, I feel your pain,

Keith Newton

That is an easy one to overlook. Usually it doesn't really pop until your in the finishing stage. It's usually not as noticeable on a table top or other flat horizontal surfaces as it is vertical surfaces with the grain horizontal, and particularly with rift cut.

The reason is that the most highly reflective fibers are the quite small medular ray cells are on a plane slanting inward from the surface, and with the opposite slant on the other board.When viewed from the end of the board might look like this. \\\\\l//////. I like to describe it like a cue-ball bouncing off a pool table rail at a reciprocal angle from the light source to your eye, if the rays are more or less comparable to the rail.

If you are resewing, then just flipping one half, like turning the page of a book, which is book match, the slant will stay the same. This is also true for slip match, which is just sliding one half over so the right side of one is against the left of the other. Both will be like this. \\\\\\\l\\\\\\\

However if you flip one half end for end down the length, which sounds like what you did, they are opposite. Since your table is round, it might show up less if you rotate it relative to your light source, whether that is a window, or ceiling light.

I made a very nice bow front double sink vanity using fiddleback Makore once. Since I was working on a bench with florescent lights overhead it didn't show. I was startled when we started the finishing process, because some had the slant wrong. With the slant one way they didn't even look like the same wood, but when I flipped them end for end, BOOM the chatoyance was really incredible.

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#8

Re: Yes, I feel your pain,

Bill Marr

Gents - Thanks for sharing your experiences, pictures and insights. Clearly I inadvertently flipped half of the boards end-for-end to achieve this effect. Although the table is round, I designated one leg as the front of the table with the grain running front to back. So turning the table 90 degrees would have the legs in a awkward position since they are 120 degrees apart. It’s funny how when you look at project plans, you get all the dimensions and details but no warnings. I guess some things you just have to experience to get the lesson and this is one I won’t forget. You guys have been great. Thanks for listening!

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#9

Ah Ha, I think you got it, thanks

Barry Irby

Only missed by one letter and a space. I usually decipher them, but not this time.

Buffaloed by the New Zealand/Australia thing. Thought maybe I did not speak "Down Under".

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#10

Re: Yes, I feel your pain,

Bill Phoenix, MD


Gents- Hopefully this pic goes through of the table top we've been talking about. Thanks.

Bill

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#11

Re: Yes, I feel your pain,

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I think you are bothered by something that won't bother most, if not all, the people that look at this table. After a year report back if you are still bothered....I'll bet not.

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#12

Re: Yes, I feel your pain,

Bill Phoenix, MD

that's what my wife said! Maybe I'll get used to it. Thanks.

Re: Table Top Grain Line

#13

Re: OK Derek, I gots to know....

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Barry, William clearly knows me well. That comes from trying to write "a feature" when one's mouth is full of New Zealand beer! (Visiting for a wedding).

Regards from Auckland

Derek

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.