WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT - iPad battery replacement??

Posts

OT - iPad battery replacement??

#1

Jesper, Denmark

OT - iPad battery replacement??

Jesper, Denmark

My four year old iPad air is now down to less than about an hour before the battery is flat.

Any opinions on whether to get the battery replaced or if it is better to get a new 'pad? battery replacement is about 30% of the cost of a new one.

I think I have done all the battery saving bits, closing stuff etc., but that does not make any difference.

It's an iPad Air 32 MB, 4G and WIFI. Turning off the 4G also does not seem to make any difference.

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

#2

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

John McGaw

I can only speak for myself but if it were mine I'd go for the battery replacement. When I have a tool which does the job and the 'newer, better' tool does nothing the old one doesn't then there seems to be no reason to replace. Of course if you find that the old device is severely wanting and/or there is something the shiny new one does that you think you can't live without...

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

#3

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

Gerry in North Surrey

I replaced the battery in my OLD MacBook with a no name generic one from Amazon. Still working fine after several years and the price was about 25% of what Apple wanted for a replacement.

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

#4

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

Jesse Cloud

Is that price from the Apple store? If there are 3rd service companies, as there are in the US, the price may be much less. If you are comfortable working with electronics, you can replace the battery yourself. Just Google IPAD battery replacement to find how-to videos.

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

#5

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

Steve jenkins

Beware after market battery replacement. I had Batteries Plus replace the battery on my iPhone. It didn’t solve my particular problem so I went to the Apple Store to get it checked out . They told me that since someone else opened the phone they wouldn’t touch it. I even said I’d pay them to put in one of their batteries so it would be original. No luck wouldn’t do anything that required removing the back.

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

#6

Kneale Brownson

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

Kneale Brownson

Apple wants you to buy a new device. They even "updated" the iPhone 5 to reduce its performance. Then they removed the connection to move photos to a computer.

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

#7

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

Stuart Johnson

Do a google search for iPad battery replacement. You'll find a ton of diy battery replacement videos showing exact step by step instructions. The worst that will happen is you'll have to go with your second option and buy a new iPad.

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

#8

Jesper, Denmark

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

Jesper, Denmark

Thanks for all the comments.

The 'Pad is now at a local Computer shop for a battery replacement. We will see how it works out.

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

#9

Jesper, Denmark

Re: OT - iPad battery replacement??

Jesper, Denmark

So far so good. No data on how long the battery really will hold a charge, but down to 75% after two hours use seems to be just fine.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.