Powermatic 100- time to sell??
Tom Norton
So I really don't need this planer as I have an Inca and I am not doing big jobs any longer. So I am looking for some idea as to what price I should list it for.
Suggestions?
Thanks!
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Powermatic 100- time to sell??
Tom Norton
So I really don't need this planer as I have an Inca and I am not doing big jobs any longer. So I am looking for some idea as to what price I should list it for.
Suggestions?
Thanks!
Re: Powermatic 100- time to sell??
John in NM
I bought one about 15 years ago for 800 and never regretted it even though the price was on the high side. These days I would guess that 800 would be about fair, and you might get up to 1200 depending on condition.
Finding the right buyer is the thing that makes all the difference. Sometimes you find them right off the bat, sometimes it takes a while.
Re: Powermatic 100- time to sell??
Mark Nowicki
A couple of hundred dollars, maybe more if you are willing to part it out.
The line of people who are no longer doing big projects or don't need stuff any more is infinitely longer than those who just have to have one.
In a couple of years it will be have only scrap value.
The demographics of this hobby are not on your side.
really?
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
"The demographics of this hobby are not on your side. "
There seems to be a robust demand for woodworking classes. Everywhere seems to have a store catering to woodworkers. What are the data that show the number of people doing serious enough woodworking that want a quality machine declining?
But demographics has little to do with selling your machine. The market is anyone that understands how much better this machine is than any of "bench top" planer. I'll help with your marketing....This light industrial quality machine will deliver snip-free smooth surfaces. What ever you pay of it, it will go up in value over time. It will last lifetimes because anything that can wear is easily replaced. For home shop use nothing is ever likely to wear and need replacing. You can buy industrial quality steel knives from many saw shops. Bottom line, this machine is built to work and last.
The bobber just wiggled....
Barry Irby
I am fishing for a planer. Actually was looking for a bigger one, but....
Where are you? (I am near Richmond VA, how far are you?)
Is it single phase?
Does it run and in good adjustment?
How about some dimensions? Height, width, length and how high is the bottom of the cutter head off the floor? (I have a tiny shop)
Any idea for the weight?
Re: Powermatic 100- time to sell??
Bruce Schoenleber
April 1st I am guessing.
Re: The bobber just wiggled....
Don Stephan
An Internet search using "Powermatic 100 manual" found a listing (I didn't try it). The manual should have all the info requested.
Relax, Barry
Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey
Do you need/want 300lb 12" planer?
Good planer but not, I think, what you're looking for.
300 lbs! I won't have one that weighs....
Barry Irby
less than 800 lbs. If it falls on me I want it to kill me, not just pin me to the shop floor with some broken bones and my cat waiting to eat my face.
Funny....
John in NM
That is the second time in my life I've heard such an idea. The first was when all those high schools were closing up their shop classes and putting in computer labs. Now all those former students are dying to do something hands on after a hard day at the computer lab.
Re: The bobber just wiggled....
Tom Norton
Barry, just saw your noteI am in NE Ohio.
Re: really?
ebd
There seems to be a robust demand for woodworking classes. Everywhere seems to have a store catering to woodworkers.
Seems not to be so in my area. The Woodcraft store went out of business a long time ago, shortly (couple years) after it opened. The only lumber yard carrying exotics used to have a wide variety and lots of inventory. Now flat stock is extremely limited and only the very common woods are represented. The turning stock is also extremely limited.
My brother-in-law and I visited West-Penn Wood when it was in Olean and were overwhelmed by the quality, vast quantity, and unbelievable variety. He recently visited them in their new South Carolina location (they moved completely) and found much more limited stock - both in quantity and variety.
The local woodworking shows I've been to were much more robust years ago. Lately, not so much. They've gotten so limited that I've stopped going.
Re: Funny....
Brian Holcombe
Exactly true, in fact some of the big tech companies have full woodshops on campus and let the employees use them under strict guidance.
Re: The bobber just wiggled....
Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio
Tom,
Where in NE Ohio?