WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Titebond Hide Glue Shelf life

Posts

Titebond Hide Glue Shelf life

#1

Titebond Hide Glue Shelf life

Jim O'Connor

I always thought this premade hide glue had a shelf life. I don't use very much anymore but when I tried to buy a bottle today none had any expiration dates like the old bottles. Has it been changed to have an extended shelf life? I couldn't find any answers on their web site.

Re: Titebond Hide Glue Shelf life

#2

Re: Titebond Hide Glue Shelf life

Paul Leuba

I noticed the same thing on the liquid hide glue I recently purchased.

I suspect the reason for the removal of a shelf live estimate on the container is that the useful life of the product is highly variable depending on the temperature at which the product is stored. I believe that it will remain useable quite a long time (several years) if it is stored in cool conditions (think refrigerator). Then, when it is needed for use, return it to room temperature for a suffice to time to warm up to ambient.

If it is more than a couple months old at room temperature, I would suggest you test it before using it. I have heard that if it is "stringy" out of the container, it is good.

Paul in Hunt Valley, MD

Re: Titebond Hide Glue Shelf life

#3

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Titebond Hide Glue Shelf life

Jack Guzman from Maine

I believe the manufacture date is printed in code on the bottle somewhere. ---Jack

Re: Titebond Hide Glue Shelf life

#4

shelf life chemistry

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

The stuff is a protein and relies on the length of the protein molecule to be strong. The molecules have to be long (and hence entangled) to pull "strings" but Titebond does not think this test is best.

Other glue is liquefied by addition of urea. Urea decomposes to ammonia. Ammonia chops up the protein. If the bottle stinks of ammonia be cautious using it. Bacteria chop up the protein. If it smells rotten chuck it.

Titebond liquefies with a chemical that does not decompose or in any way cause the molecular weight of the protein to shorten. Other factors can/will slowly degrade the protein so the stuff does not have an infinite life. Stored in frig and it will last a long time.

It is cheap and readily available. Buy a new bottle every few years or learn how to test the joint for glue strength, or the glue itself for effective strength to ensure gluing success.

Re: Titebond Hide Glue Shelf life

#5

Re: shelf life chemistry

Jim O'Connor

Thanks for the replies. When I get a new bottle I'll stick it in the frig.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.