WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Shellac book?

Posts

Shellac book?

#1

Jack Guzman from Maine

Shellac book?

Jack Guzman from Maine

Is there a good book that gives a tutorial on the use of shellac? I like using it for some things but I don't know enough about the properties to be any good at it. For example, Peter Galbert,in his new book, talks about using thin shellac with dye between coats of milk paint. He says to apply the shellac but doesn't say anything about the method of application. I tried a china bristle brush but got alot of excess shellac running and leaving dark stain with this method. Then I tried dipping a rag but this didn't apply enough shellac. I ended up brushing and then wiping immediately afterward. I got a fair result but I'm not pleased with the application method and I'm not sure if I should be wiping off shellac after brushing on.

So where can I get more info on the use of this stuff?

Re: Shellac book?

#2

Re: Shellac book?

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Jeff Jewitt's "Hand Applied Finishes" is excellent and both Flexner and Dresdner have highly informative books as well.

But,

Go browse the Finishing Articles here on Wood Central using the navigation buttons on the left side of your screen. You'll find top-shelf information and advice from the same authors for free.

Re: Shellac book?

#4

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Shellac book?

Jack Guzman from Maine

Thanks. I never thought to check in our articles. I found a couple good articles by Zinsser that answer my concerns about the dyed shellac. I would still like to find a book dedicated to shellac lore. Something I could use as a shop reference.---Jack

Re: Shellac book?

#5

Jack Guzman from Maine

That's what I'm looking for.

Jack Guzman from Maine

I didn't know he wrote one. I have his hide glue book. Now all I have to do is find a copy to buy. Can Stephen's books still be bought?

Re: Shellac book?

#6

Jack Guzman from Maine

found it-ordered it


Re: Shellac book?

#7

Re: found it-ordered it

Jim Beers

Where did you find the book?

Re: Shellac book?

#8

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: found it-ordered it

Jack Guzman from Maine

Follow Bruce's enclosed link to the Full Chisel Blog (Stephen Shepherd's) and on the menu click on "the full chisel store" listed under "pages"

Re: Shellac book?

#9

Re: Shellac book?

Howard in Toronto

Why not email him or call directly? All his contact info is on his website.

Howard

Re: Shellac book?

#10

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Shellac book?

Jack Guzman from Maine

Stephen Shepherd,who's website it is ,recently passed away. I didn't know that his books were still being sold through his website but they are.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.