WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Related to kitchen remodel -- engineer

Posts

Related to kitchen remodel -- engineer

#1

Related to kitchen remodel -- engineer

Gary Smyth

Who do you call for an assessment of structure? My experience is that local structural engineers are involved with commercial properties, thus having little interest -- or a non-specialist category of engineer if dealing with homeowners on a one time gig.

Would you call a truss company? Who would make a house call? Contact a contractor for a recommendation?

In Western PA I've experienced frustration in searching for a competent person without a hefty fee ($250/start, additional for a report) for a certified opinion.

Re: Related to kitchen remodel -- engineer

#2

The peril of consulting an engineer

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

When I was designing our house in 1991 I had a problem with the support for the first floor complicated by the spans I desired in the shop and family room beneath. I hired a structural engineer to solve the problem. Problem solved with $4,000 (1991 prices) of steel and a crane to handle it.

At the time we had a hardwood lumber business and sold to a cabinet shop whose owner had been a high end home builder before the credit contraction of the mid 80's put him under. While delivering a load of oak I thought to show him the plans and ask his advice. In minutes he suggested running floor joists parallel to the long axis of the house, supported on one end by the basement stair structure. 2 x 12 on 12" centers with bridging solved stiffening the 16' living room span to site made laminated beam on one post that sits out of the way by the jointer. Significant fraction of material cost saved. Glass does not vibrate on the book shelf- design problem solved.

If I had a home construction engineering problem my first source of advice would be an experienced builder. If the builder was unsure of a solution I would ask where they would go for advice. A bridge designer can run off the rails engineering a house.

Houses are way over structurally engineered. Making floors stiff is another matter. You could park a truck on a floor stiff enough to not bounce when walked upon.

Re: Related to kitchen remodel -- engineer

#3

Agree...

John in NM

Find a good builder.

Try asking at a tradeschool. Instructors there might moonlight in the building industry.

Another option might be to find a building inspector who moonlights. I got some very good advice from a couple of the inspectors when we were building.

The only time I had to hire an engineer - had to get a sealed drawing for a rock wall if you can believe it - I found a civil engineering professor at UNM who liked to do consulting on the side. Fortunately I didn't need a site visit, just a stamp on my drawing.

Re: Related to kitchen remodel -- engineer

#4

Kneale Brownson

Or ask an architect for an engineer referral


Re: Related to kitchen remodel -- engineer

#5

Try asking at a trade school

Dick Coers

"Asking at a trade school" made me chuckle. I took a vocational class in high school for auto mechanics. That instructor was horrible. But in his defense, with the quality of students, his main objective was to make sure there were no fights and no-one got hurt working on cars. To my dismay, I found out that it was a harbor for those that didn't want an education anyway.

And since I wasn't a quick learner from that experience, I attended a technical school after high school to get an associate degree in tool design. Almost the identical situation. Several of the students were just treading water there as well. Nearly half had dropped out by the time I graduated. The instructors were people that seemed to have been beaten down in life and for some reason had settled to the lowest possible level where they could still earn a salary at a familiar subject and still boss around kids. The "degree" I earned did pay off when starting at a higher level draftsman in the industry, but the feeling of loosing two years of my life is still in my mind, 46 years latter.

I wouldn't ask those guys, but sure would ask a good builder.

Re: Related to kitchen remodel -- engineer

#6

Re: Try asking at a trade school

Barry Irby

I agree with asking a good builder, but finding the right one might be a problem. Some local builders are Money Men, the guy with the most money is the best builder, and this is not the guy for you.

There are a lot of "engineered" products around today. Trusses and various floor systems like gluelams and TJI products like truss joists. A lot of rubber stamp engineering goes on there, but find the sellers of those products and you might find an engineer familiar with residential building and truss products.

Your local government/building official may be able to point you in the right direction too.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.