WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Off topic - plumbing

Posts

Off topic - plumbing

#1

Off topic - plumbing

CJ in MPLS

I am looking at a plumbing repair of the type that is nominally simple, but subject to a few caveats. The problem I am having is that the ceramic cartridge is seized in the 1" chrome plated brass valve body (pipe with external threads) in which it is installed. The installation instructions for the faucet are easy enough to understand.

The problems started when I found that this installation requires no top nut to keep the valve body in its standard position. As a result, with the removal of the escutcheon, the valve body is flopping around. In a perfect world I might have access to the backside of the faucet for removal so that I could work with a vise on the bench, but with a custom vanity and stone top, I would need a gnome to do this for me.

So, the question to you is: how might I loosen a brass fitting (valve) in a brass threaded pipe (valve body) so that I can unscrew it WITHOUT damaging the valve body? Except for the stuck threads, this should be an easy fix.

Thanks,

CJ

Re: Off topic - plumbing

#2

Re: Off topic - plumbing

CJ in MPLS

Answered my own question as it turns out. I walked away for a while to avoid frustration and when I came back I tried a bit of warm from a kitchen torch and also squeezed the cartridge a bit to get it to release. It finally let go. Now to find a replacement locally as opposed to online.

CJ

Re: Off topic - plumbing

#3

Re: Off topic - plumbing

Dave Bair

Looking for the "like" button but I can't find it.

Re: Off topic - plumbing

#4

Re: Off topic - plumbing

CJ in MPLS

Well thank you. Stick around for the encore cold water valve. ;)

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.