WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Auction Buy

Posts

Auction Buy

#1

Auction Buy

John Foster

Got this saw with a 50" Biesemeyer fence for $163.00 CDN after buyer's premium and sales tax. Also a ton of wood at shamefully low prices. Actually felt sorry for the owner.

Re: Auction Buy

#2

Re: Auction Buy

Keith Newton

Cool John,,,,,,, Just judging from the shape of that base casting, I'm guessing that would have been from the fifties, and might have about a 1 or 1.5hp motor.

I bought one once at auction for $50, but without motor so yours was a better deal. Congrats

Re: Auction Buy

#3

Re: Auction Buy

paul in AZ

More like a steal the a buy. Well done.

Re: Auction Buy

#4

Re: Auction Buy

John Foster

Unfortunately it has a 3 phase motor, but I do have a spare 1 hp. I will put it on for now until I get a deal on a 2 or 3 hp. singe phase

Re: Auction Buy

#5

Re: Auction Buy

Bruce, a MN Galoot

That deserves a “you suck!” Great find!

Re: Auction Buy

#6

Re: Auction Buy

John K Jordan

Wait until I kick the bucket. My wife may pay you to haul off the PM66 with sliding table. And the bandsaw. And the milling machine. And...

JKJ

Re: Auction Buy

#7

Re: Auction Buy

Brian Anderson

I want to hear about the wood.

Re: Auction Buy

#8

running a 3Ph motor

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

VFD drives are good economic choice as an alternative to buying a new motor. I have one running a lathe and grinder. Wish I had a 3Ph motor on the drill press and I would run that too.

Re: Auction Buy

#9

Re: Auction Buy

John Foster

Bought 3 lots of lumber. $50.00, $50.00 and $25.00 CDN enough hard maple to make my pick-up truck squat with the air bags pumped up to 120 psi. I still had my winter tires on, if I had my summer LT's on they would have held up better. Also took all the ash and oak from the lots. Left behind the mahogany, poplar, willow, basswood and hemlock etc. lots of misc; not worth the 2.5 hour drive to go back. Google " Corporate Assets Auctions Toronto", go to their site, and click on auctions, then past auctions, then Ashley Furniture, then view lots. I bought lots 39,43,46 .

Re: Auction Buy

#10

Kneale Brownson

Re: running a 3Ph motor

Kneale Brownson

Or a phase converter. I run all my three-phase stuff off a 10-hp converter.

Re: Auction Buy

#11

Rotory Phase Converter

Karl_TN

I've seen many 3-phase woodshop equipment going for scrap metal prices at auctions. You might want to consider purchasing a 10HP to 15HP Rotary Phase Converter (RPC) in order to run multiple 3-phase tools without replacing the motors. This opens the door for buying other 3PH equipment like your cabinet saw at really cheap prices.

Last year I picked up an Unisaw 5HP/3PH (12/14Inch cabinet saw for $150, an Oliver 3PH/3HP 20inch Planer for $50, and an Oliver 3PH/3HP 12inch Jointer for $50 at a military auction. The last two Oliver machines have 'inline' 3ph motors so replacing those motors with single phase motors isn't an easy option. My current plans are to install a 15HP RPC to run all this equipment from a single phase input.

Re: Auction Buy

#12

Re: Rotory Phase Converter

Keith Newton

I've got a couple of extra nice 10 hp 3ph motors. I'd be willing to sell one of them cheaper than you could get from eBay, if you want to build your own. You can find plenty of instructions online for doing this.

Re: Auction Buy

#13

Re: Rotory Phase Converter

Karl_TN

Keith,

Thanks for the offer, but I purchased a used 15HP RPC unit made by American Rotary so I'm good. Now I'm waiting for extra money and time to run a bigger electrical line from my house to the shop.

Sounds like a good deal for John if he's interested in building his own RPC.

-Karl

Re: Auction Buy

#14

Re: Rotory Phase Converter

William Duffield

I can understand the recommendation of a 15 HP RPC in a small commercial shop, but it seems to be overkill in a one woodworker hobby shop. 5 HP would be less expensive, take up less room, and wouldn't waste as much electric power as low grade heat.

Re: Auction Buy

#15

Re: Rotory Phase Converter

Karl_TN

William,

Correct, a 5HP RPC might do most home shops running only one 3HP motor. I bought my 15HP RPC in order to run a 5HP Unisaw and 5HP Dust Collector at the same time.

By the way, my slightly used American Rotary RPC unit only cost me $350 including the electrical breaker panel. Just had to make a road trip to Atlanta to pick it up from a guy that was closing up his shop. This was a lot cheaper than buying a new 7.5HP to 10HP RPC unit. I don't expect to be running my RPC for extended periods so the electrical and heat cost aren't a big issue to me at this time. Still something to think about if the RPC gets left running for hours at a time.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.