WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Battery rebuild and other tools.

Posts

Battery rebuild and other tools.

#1

Battery rebuild and other tools.

Gary Smyth

Request a recommendation for the replacement/rebuild of

Milwaukee 14.4v and 18v batteries. Three 14.4v drills--six batteries, and one 18v with two batteries are getting more and more useless. Used a lot in season with big projects coming up.. While the weather is cold now is the time to send out and get up to power.

I thought about replacing drills in a new set of drill and impact -- DeWalt or Milwaukee, but dollars count. I haven't seen a sale since January worth anything. And Milwaukee owns me with batteries --so far

Western PA location but price is the better alternative, so distance to get batteries is not a concern.

Before closing, looking for recommendation for air power coil roofing nail gun and corded 7" and 4 1/2" angle grinder too.

Let me have your opinions of what will work hard and long.

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

#2

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

Barry Irby

You can get batteries rebuilt. Primecell did some for me and there is anther company out there, but I can't recall their name.

Years ago it was cheaper than buying new ones, but you had to pay shipping and that tended to even out the score.

I gave away some old Makita NiCad batteries and the guy took them apart and figured out which cell's had gone bad and which were good and made four good packs out of six.

He also zapped them with a battery charger or welder to "blow the shorts" out of some. I'm sure there are Youtube videos on how to do all of this.

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

#3

Depends on the technology of the tools you have

Dick Coers

New brushless drills are so nice and light compared to old tools. I hate changing complete tools because the batteries are shot, but got over that when I bought some new Dewalt. Such a joy to use, and incredible power! I took advantage of a Christmas deal at Acme Tools. You bought two 5 amp hour 20v max batteries and charger, and got two bare tools free. I've since bought the flashlight for it, and that darned thing lasts forever on those big batteries! Just about threw away my troublelight after that. Christmas is always the time to buy cordless drill sets! I always donate the old tools to the local Habitat for Humanity Restore.

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

#4

Re: Depends on the technology of the tools you hav

ben d.

Interstate batteries also rebuilds them and I was quoted $48.00 per battery for 18 v so I waited for a DeWalt sale and got drill and 2 batteries 20v for $100.00.

Some place to check though.

ben d.

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

#5

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

John K Jordan

>>>He also zapped them with a battery charger or welder to "blow the shorts" out of some. I'm sure there are Youtube videos on how to do all of this.

I've done this several times. We've also zapped nicads back into usefulness with a bank of charged electrolytic capacitors. The idea is so zap the tiny crystals that grow between the layers and short out the battery.

This works sometimes and doesn't other times, depending on the state of the battery. I've used stick and mig. Use the ground appropriately and a very short blast of current. I fastened wires to the battery pack and made welder contact with the wires, not the battery contacts themselves.

I've also disassembled several worthless battery packs and saved the good cells to rebuild packs. I charged first, took the battery pack apart, and testing each cell for voltage and current.

A couple of times I found a sale on a new 18V Dewalt tool with two batteries and charger for less than two new batteries. A Dewalt representative suggested this once when I was shopping for batteries and whining about the insane price. Now I have a box of extra drills.

JKJ

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

#6

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

Brian Anderson

If you can wait, fathers day is only a few months away and there might be some sales. Buy new is in my opinion the best option. On the rebuild side some of those battery recycling places will do them for you .... But much of the time rebuilds cost nearly the same as new, particularly if shipping is involved.

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

#7

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

Jay Lombardo

Have used MTO battery builders in the past with excellent results. 14.4v ni-cads are $30 and 18v are $37.50 I generally wait until I have a few to send in and that makes the shipping work out a little cheaper. I have sent in dewalt, Milwaukee, and a couple from worx string trimmers, all working better than originals.

Re: Battery rebuild and other tools.

#8

Great service/price/value

Tom Dunlap

Someone recommended this company in Florida.

I got 18v Dewalt pacs that went right in and are still going strong

http://gcbattery.com/contact-us/

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.