WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Oxalic Acid Question

Posts

Oxalic Acid Question

#1

Oxalic Acid Question

Hank Knight

My neighbor has asked my help in removing stains from her butcher block counter top. I have oxalic acid crystals that I have used successfully for removing stains from wood in the past. I neutralize it with a weak borax solution and then rinse with water. The question is whether this method will render her countertops unsafe for food preparation. I have researched the issue on the Internet and have found little helpful information. The acid crystals are dangerous, especially as an inhalation hazard. What about any salts remaining after neutralization with borax and a thorough rinsing with water?

TIA.

Hank

Re: Oxalic Acid Question

#2

Re: Where are all of our chemists?


Re: Oxalic Acid Question

#3

Hiding behind the lawyers...


Re: Oxalic Acid Question

#4

Re: Oxalic Acid Question

Gary Smyth

I use diluted Oxalic acid for removing lake gunk on a boat waterline at the end of season. I also used to use it to remove gunk from old fashioned glass telephone insulators. The stuff is sneaky corrosive and a sealed container's fumes left over winter in a paint cabinet ate through several rattle cans and a quart. The interior of the now rainbow cabinet is enough to advise you to find another solution.

What's wrong with a wipe or two with regular chlorine bleach? I use it on cutting boards and my butcher block. It slightly lightened the cutting board but not the maple chopping block. Quick rinses with tap water after application and drying have not caused noticeable harm to the food or me.




Re: Oxalic Acid Question

#5

Re: Oxalic Acid Question

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

It's a good bleach, I use it mixed with a bit of Simple Green as a deck brightener and pre-stain cleaner every two years.

Don't know about borax, but baking soda will neutralize most acids. Scrub in a rinse off. I power wash the deck so there's nothing left by clean wood.

Re: Oxalic Acid Question

#6

Hey!

CJ in MPLS

You have no idea what you are talking about. I just checked and the guy I found hiding under the desk swears that he is a statistician. No chemists in here! Showed you . . .

Re: Oxalic Acid Question

#7

Re: Oxalic Acid Question

jmohnike

Ask a driggest. They also sell it in a much purer form.

Re: Oxalic Acid Question

#8

JL

Re: Oxalic Acid Question

JL

Oxalic acid would be a skin irritant.

But you are going to wipe it off.

I've used oxalic acid to lift stains and get rid of mineral deposits.

The lethal dose of Oxalic acid is on the order of 600 mg/kg. So for a 220 lb person that would be 60 grams.

You aren't going to get that much in you.

Wear gloves when applying to prevent skin irritation. Clean up w/ water and flush it down the sink.

Re: Oxalic Acid Question

#9

question about oxalic acid and stain removal

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I have never used it, so no hands- on experience.

Most chemicals that combine with iron make colored compounds. For example, the lignin in wood combines with iron ions from a corroded clamp surface and makes a blue colored iron compound that looks black when it is concentrated enough.

Oxalic acid and citric acid are the exceptions. They like to combine with iron and the result is a colorless compound. Oxalic acid will suck the iron out of the black lignin compound and make a water soluble colorless iron compound. Oxalic acid is, or at least was, an ingredient in commercial iron stain removal products for this reason.

Unlike chlorine bleach, oxalic acid does not de-color by destroying the chemicals that are making color, for example mold colors. The question: does oxalic acid remove stains other than iron? Might one need to know the kind of stain before attacking it with this or that chemical?

Oxalic acid is a two part chemical- and acid and oxalate. The acid part is an irritant. The acid part will be neutralized by any base- baking soda, borax, lye, etc. The oxalate part is a poison. Adding a base such as bicarbonate does not diminish the toxicity of the oxalate. What dose of oxalic acid causes harm is a topic too complex to be settled here. Look up the MSDS for oxalic acid and draw your own conclusions.

Re: Oxalic Acid Question

#10

I'd listen to JL

John K Jordan

He's my favorite chemist.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.