Delivered Dutch Pullout Extention Table
Alan Young
Dutch Pull Out Extension Table on Trestle Base in Walnut.
Closed- 42" Wide and 72" Long. Open- 42" Wide and 108" Long.
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Delivered Dutch Pullout Extention Table
Alan Young
Dutch Pull Out Extension Table on Trestle Base in Walnut.
Closed- 42" Wide and 72" Long. Open- 42" Wide and 108" Long.
Outstanding!
Don Orr
Well done as always and thanks for the in situ photos.
A question
Mike Farinella
Pardon my ignorance, but what style/genre of furniture is that?
Well done Alan.
Re: A question
Alan Young
This table is based on a design by legendary Danish furniture designer/maker-Tage Frid. My clients wanted a table that would have the ability to expand. We discussed many options-leaves in the middle, a disappearing center leaf ect. After a lot of discussion we settle on the Tage Frid design- first as a farmhouse table
After more discussion we went with a trestle style to avoid the four legs. The trestle design gave a bit more versatility for "leg-room"
A few more details *LINK*
Alan Young
This video (attached below) from Tommy MacDonald's "Rough Cut" program should the basic function of the extensions. My table is much larger but the top and extensions function basically the same. (They discuss the extension functions at 22:22 of the video) I love the brief discussion of "fine tuning these runners. I made two versions and the final version still needed numerous "Tweaks"
In my version-rather than using the dowels shown in the video-I mounted five cleats to the underside of the top. These cleats straddle the trestle bridge.
I added one more feature- These albumin blocks and bars allow the table to be "locked down" to base in either extended or closed position.


The block/bars must be in the open position when the extensions are being operated.
Tommy MacDonald Video
Re: A question
jcousins
This was fun to see. We have a solid maple dining room table set – made by Sears & Roebuck in the 1940’s that uses the same extended leaf mechanism – which always seems like magic to everyone. It is now entering the 4th generation of our family. Thanks for posting.
jerry
Re: Delivered Dutch Pullout Extention Table
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
That is one handsome table. I like the addition of the "brackets" on either side of the traditional vertical member. How are they attached to foot and vertical?
Re: Delivered Dutch Pullout Extention Table
Alan Young
Bill-The "brackets" are glued on with System 3 T-88 Epoxy-

I also attched them with screws and plugged them with dowels- Although there is a stain applied-you can see the dowels if you look closely.
In retrospect I think I'd mount mount these pieces with loose tenons. That epoxy is strong matter and gains strength as it sets. I think if these break off it will be because someone did something "very naughty"
"Albumin"
Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey
Is that animal, vegetable, or mineral albumin?
PS. Nice Job
What are the brass? plates for?
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
It could have been tedious to fit but the loose M&T would have been a good choice. It didn't seem a trivial joint to assemble so I was curious how you did it.
Re: What are the brass? plates for?
Alan Young
In early discussions it was concluded that getting this piece into the dining room was going to require careful planning. Come in the front doorway @3-4 square foot opening then make two hard right turns... Seemed like a good idea to make this table in removable parts...So the End I Beam Structures are connected with the Trestle bridge and two out side beams

The brass pieces cover the exposed bolts that connect the Trestle Bridge and outside rails to the I Beam Ends

As it turned out we were able to keep the entire base bolted together as we moved it through the doorways "on-end"
I hab a code in by doze!