WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

So I put a new floor in my shop....

Posts

So I put a new floor in my shop....

#1

So I put a new floor in my shop....

Barry Irby

The slab in my shop is very rough and stained. I bought a small amount of laminate flooring at a recent freight and put it down in the open area of the shop. Put the foam/vapor barrier under it. The funny part is I got the flooring so cheap the foam cost me more than the flooring. I think I am going to like it, but putting it in was like doing about a hundred deep knee bends. Boy are my legs sore. My friend tells me they will be worse tomorrow. Now to find out if this is more pleasant to work on than concrete.

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#2

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

Hank Knight

I'm anxious to know how you like there new floor. I've been thinking about doing something with my concrete slab floor for a long time, but it appears to be a daunting task for a number of reasons; not the least of which is that my slab is not flat or level. Did you level yours before you laid down the foam/vapor barrier? If so, how did you do it?

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#3

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

Barry Irby

Hank, my slab is reasonably flat, just rough. Sort of non skid/gritty. So I made no effort to level or flatten it other than to repeatedly scrap up glue droplets and other crud.

I have laid probably a thousand square feet of laminate. About 75% over wooden floors. Some of them were not flat or level. Unless your floor is terrible I wouldn't hesitate to put a shop floor over it. Terrible being more than a 1/4" or even a 1/2" out over four feet.

In my shop, I did not want to remove all the equipment and cabinets so I bought enough flooring to cover the "open" area. About 150 sq ft. I jockeyed a few things like the drill press and jointer and a couple of rolling carts and started on one side and worked my way across. Raised the bandsaw enough to slip the first piece under the front legs and kept on going. Got about half way and slide the stuff back across and onto the new floor.

Worked out that I bought almost exactly the correct amount. I kind of wish I had done the entire shop, about twice as much, but that would have been about ten times the effort to remove everything and put it back.

I have not spent an entire day standing/working on it so I can't report on the leg saving performance. I can tell you it is a lot better looking, more pleasant, and will be a lot easier to clean. Just that was worth it.

There is a vast difference in the quality of laminate. Some is rated to go on slabs and below grade and some is not. Some can be soak in water for days and some fails if it gets wet at all. I lucked into some excellent stuff 12mm thick. Got eight boxes for $40 total.

If I were you I would put it in and use the foam to level the floor. Maybe put two or three layers in the depressions. I some of my rentals, the furniture is holding the flooring down. Check with the borgs in your area to see if they have some remnants or short stacks.

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#4

ps, the stuff I got...

Barry Irby

Has something like aluminum oxide particles in the wear layer. I cut it with a saw and sparks fly. I knew the stuff killed saw blades so I used a throwaway one. If I had known it was this tough, I would have cut it form the back and broken the wear face. I am impressed and think it will make a good shop floor.

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#5

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

Hank Knight

Barry, thanks for the info and the encouragement. This may be my next shop project. I have a rubber mat in front of my bench, but even so, a day standing on the concrete kills my legs and back. A new user-friendly floor would be wonderful!

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#6

Barry got lucky.

Gary Smyth

I bought laminate flooring for a kitchen area. Mohawk brand, style WEL 13-30, 3/8" thick. Called Mohawk to find out about backing and was told what was required. Again, more expensive (sq. ft. and shipping) than what I paid for the boxes of laminate. As we were closing the conversation the customer service person said "Remember, do not get it wet". When I bought it I specifically asked about wet possibility. I was told not to soak it, but dropped dish cloth, spills wiped up quickly was acceptable. WRONG!

Tested, and it swelled irreversibly by estimated 25%. No good for Kitchen, Bath, Entrances. I took the loss. Be careful of what you buy and read the specs. which are often enclosed in the sealed cardboard and plastic sealed boxes. (No return if box is opened.)

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#7

Re: Barry got lucky.

Barry Irby

There was some luck involved, but some knowledge and skill too. I have flipped about ten houses and remodeled four more and kept them. Removed dumpsters full of cheap laminate. (If you find yourself installing really cheap laminate you should be very afraid. Apparently foreclosure is not far behind.) As I said, there is a vast difference in the quality. I go to freight auctions at least once a month and there is often laminate there. I was looking for a smallish pile because they are less desirable to others and go cheap. But, I preview the auction and research the flooring to be sure it's suitable for my needs.

Many places that sell laminate will give you a sample. If you can get one, put it in some water and wait a day or two. The poor quality stuff will swell and some of it may fall apart. The good stuff will barely change or not at all.

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#8

Barry got lucky.

Tom Colligan

Barry, would you be able to give the brand and product number for what you've used?

And, how 'bout a picture of two?

Thanks,

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#9

Re: Barry got lucky.

John K Jordan

>>>...put it in some water and wait a day or two. The poor quality stuff will swell and some of it may fall apart. The good stuff will barely change or not at all.

A friend of mine left a Pergo tile in a bucket of water over the winter. It still looked like new.

JKJ

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#10

Re: Barry got lucky.

Barry Irby

Tom, I used "Home Decorators Collection Embossed Silverbrook Aged Oak 12 mm Thick x 6-1/6 in. Wide x 50-9/16 in. Length Laminate Flooring (17.32 sq. ft. / case)" From Home Depot. Don't take this and advertisement for HD or even this particular flooring. If you look it up I suggest you look in the details and notice it's suitable for any location including slab and below grade. Also the face or finish is suitable for both residential and commercial areas. I don't know which part of it indicates the finish includes some sort of abrasive, but when I cut it it actually threw a few sparks.

I wanted a light color to help keep the shop light. The grey is fine. Basically not dark chocolate brown.

This stuff is suitable for glue down, but I didn't want that. I am hoping the foam under it will make it a little easier on the feet and knees.

The stuff I bought was at the freight auction because it was "damaged". the joke about the freight auction is it's "Whatever fell off the truck this week" or as my friend says "it's there for a reason". We find that if anything about the product has a "ding" it goes tot he auction. Mine had a few dings, but was OK for a shop floor. Especially at about 10% of new. Sometimes the damage is terrible and obvious.

I just spent ten minutes trying to post a picture but I have forgotten how. I have it on my desktop.

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#11

Ha!

Tony - Memphis

That's what I did before we bought! I bought a sample. It was a Pergo product that isn't available anymore. I soaked it, left various kitchen liquids on it overnight, etc. I was impressed. Nothing touched it. We only used it in our breakfast room though. Should have done the kitchen too. Now that I think about it, I can't remember why we didn't?

Re: So I put a new floor in my shop....

#12

Tom, I took the liberty of...

Barry Irby

E-mailing you a before and after picture. Could not figure out how to post them.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.