WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Deck screw recommendations?

Posts

Deck screw recommendations?

#1

Deck screw recommendations?

Virgil Johnson

I need to install some 1" x 5.5" PT pine decking. I nailed the last stuff I put down 22+ years ago. (spiral galvies...screws come along way since them..) I tried some DeckMate screws but did not like the way the pine fuzzed up around the head. Threads did not seem really aggressive either. Fastenmaster make a screw that looks promising called a Trio but no local stores stock them. Any other ideas? Thanks

Re: Deck screw recommendations?

#2

Re: Deck screw recommendations?

Lee Schierer in McKean, PA

I've used Deck Plus 2.5-in Countersinking-Head Stainless Steel Star-Drive Deck Screw from Lowes to hold deck boards in place. They can also be removed if the boards need to be replaced.

Lee

Re: Deck screw recommendations?

#4

Kneale Brownson

Second the star drive screws

Kneale Brownson

Their self-countersinking heads seem to not split boards as readily as traditional deck screws. Their easy removal can also be helpful.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.