WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

metal cutting saw (power)

Posts

metal cutting saw (power)

#1

metal cutting saw (power)

Gary Smyth

For the last week I've been all over You Tube trying to assess if a metal cutting chop saw or a portable metal cutting band saw would be a better choice for a carport (and other, later) project I hope this Summer/Fall. I'm budgeting now and I have time to look for used items to save money, but if push comes to shove, I'll buy one or the other after the concrete pad discussion is finalized. My max price is in the $500 range new. To be used for electrical conduit, metal studs, soffit and fascia, as well as simple welded fabrication.

This may be the last big tool I'll buy as I have most everything else I need, accumulated over the years.

Who uses these tools, application, and why is one more useful than the other? I'm all videoed out. I just want to explore the more efficient and versatile for what I need.

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#2

fire hazard

Jerry Gibbs

I would be careful where the sparks landed from a dry metal cutting blade.

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#3

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

Thomas S Stockton

Gary

I have a portable band saw from northerntool, a couple other places sell them under other names. I like it a lot about the same size as a chop saw, no sparks shooting everywhere and none of the nasty dust. cut is accurate angle easy to change. Really no complaints.

Tom

www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660083_200660083

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#4

Re: metal cutting saw)

Gary Smyth

Tom, Surprise, thanks for the heads up. I saw multiple ads for the Klutch but ignored them because I had not heard of them. I'll revisit and check specs and reviews. This one was also dropped from my list partly because of the price -- which is much better than expected. Does it cut angles accurately for you without wander in thin metal?

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#5

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

Tom dunlap

Years ago I bought a Ryobi abrasive chop saw. It's done a lot of work for me. Never failed

It's quick, accurate , noisy, stinky, sparky and cheap

Having a spark shroud is more of an issue with this than dust collector for my SCMS

If you get one slit a piece of garden hose or similar and slip it over the cord. The sparks will burn up the cord if you don't ...I know 🙀

Last year I bought a used 4x6 metal cutting bandsaw. These are notorious for being out of whack fromnthe factory. There are yahoo forums dedicated to them. A few good websites that have setup instructions

For fine work or curves the bandsaw is the ticket. Chopping 90* cuts...chop

Saw. No different than wood

Plenty of used ones around too...OfferUp or CL. Bring some sample stock and

A square to do demo cuts

From what you described I'd get A chop saw

If you do, get hold of me. I bought a 'lifetime' supply of cutoff discs. There are probably 8-10 in the drawer. I don't plan on building heavy projects so I'd make you a sweet deal on some disks

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#6

Metal stud cutting

Dick Coers

Cutting metal studs will be different than other items mentioned. Cutting those thin flanges with a saw usually results in some straightening after. A specialty shear is so much nicer, but really expensive tooling! I never cease to be amazed how nice a steel cutting carbide tooth blade works in a cold saw. Wonderful technology!

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#7

Re: Metal cutting -- more

Gary Smyth

Spent some time doing the checks this morning, probably more this afternoon also. A fifteen inch cold cut carbide blade chop saw is currently in he lead, as it will cut angles, do most of the widths I want to cut, will essentially be weld ready, and handle different steel metal grades and aluminum and copper without clogging. Noise is a factor though. Hopefully the neighbors will get some benefit from the tool cutting for them occasionally so they will give me some slack.

As an aside, the prospect of a plasma cutter is making me a liar with respect to the last big tool I'll purchase. For 3/8" sheet and less, and expanded metal cutting, makes value interesting. That's a different thread for you later.

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#8

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

John K Jordan

I have an abrasive chop saw, a portaband, a horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw, a plasma cutter, and some other ways to cut steel.

What I use depends on what I'm cutting. I haven't cut metal studs so I have no experience with that.

For fabrication and welding I prefer the horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T9KT It was about $1100 in 2011.

For stainless steel, sheet and expanded metals, angle iron, rebar, and things that don't have to be perfectly square I prefer the plasma cutter, handheld, since it is so fast.

For many things the Milwaukee portaband is perfect, especially if the steel is not easy to move to the shop and small enough for the portaband. I can't remember the capacity but it's not too shabby.

For many quick things I put a Milwaukee bi-metal blade (The Torch) in a reciprocal saw. Amazing how well it cuts.

For thinner sheet metal I sometimes use a Jet pneumatic hand metal shear:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XA6L96

I haven't used the abrasive chop saw for years. It is loud, throws sparks a long ways, dirty, and doesn't work well with thicker steel. You can have mine if you want it.

JKJ

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#9

Cold Saw vs. Abrasive Saw Comparison

Stephen Roth

Had both...

Cold gives cleaner cut. (It is "weld ready.")

Cold gives much straighter cut. (The abrasive blade wanders.)

Abrasive saw is cheaper (Blade replacement cost probably evens out over time between the two.)

Many more sparks with an abrasive saw. (Will actually light things on fire. Cold saw will not do that.)

The abrasive saw leaves a bad burning smell. I had to use mine outside exclusively.

Cold saw leaves a "cold" cut. You need to let the abrrasive cut piece cool.

Both are a mess when used inside, but the cold saw makes chips and the abrasive saw makes dust. (The chips are easier to clean up, and I assume healthier.)

Very important for me.... Cold saw allows you to take a 1/8 off. Cant do that with an abrasive. Need tStepheno grind it.

Caveat: I never tried a metal bandsaw.

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#10

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

Gary Smyth

You can leave your offer for the abrasive disc cut off open for other Wood Central people. Thank you though.

Still in the lead is the cold cut chop saw. Perhaps EVO 380 or Dewalt DW972 , . All reviews state that power with chips are far superior to dust and sparks.

I like the Milwaukee portaband, but accuracy hand held and the cost aren't there for me -- and a plasma cutter, if I ever get that far, seems more versatile -- as long as I have a suitable compressor available.

Still in the hunt, but getting closer to finding a solution for my requirements.

Now to find the better price. And condition, and ... any alternatives that are competitive.

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#12

Nice saw, beyond budget.  Steel


Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#13

Never seen sparks from my dry cut saw

Henry Higginbotham

I've never picked up any of the chips, but 3x3x1/4 angle iron can be handled immediately after cutting. Barely warm. A cold saw would be cooler still, but beyond my needs.

Blades for a 14" dry cut run around $125-200, and you might need a different blade for, say, 1/4" angle vs thinner stuff.

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#14

Re: Nice saw, beyond budget.  Steel

Mark Nowicki

HarborFreight has one like that for $250.

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#15

You might want to take a look at this

Denis Chenard in Ottawa

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Evolution+Power+Tools+RAGE3+10-Inch+Multipurpose+Cutting+Compound+Sliding+Miter+Saw

I bought one, haven't had the time to play with it much, but I did a test cut on a 1 x 1 x 1/8 steel tubing and the part was cool to the touch after the cut, with little burr on the edge. Don't know how long it will last, but the idea of a SCMS that can also cut metal sold it to me.

DC

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#16

Thanks for the heads up

Gary Smyth

Looked into the reviews. On a five star scale, 1 star being lowest, 12% had one star and 10% had two stars. That's too much of a risk. If I added the three star group, I got over 1/3 of buyers disappointed. Most bought for metal cutting and it just didn't work out.

Let us know your results.

Also check out your motor. Some reviews stated that a less sturdy motor was installed rather than what was listed in the manual specs.

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#17

Re: Nice saw, beyond budget.  Steel

Gary Smyth

From what I read not nearly the same saw. HF saw has a brass (not bronze) gear that is apparently too soft for the long run. Reports indicate that the gear oil looks as if it were liquid gold within a short period of time. HF wants a complete saw return -- not replacement parts so again, too much risk as I intend to really use this saw in all manner for a year at least.

Wish I could afford the Jet wet -- it looks good.

Re: metal cutting saw (power)

#18

Kneale Brownson

Re: metal cutting saw)

Kneale Brownson

I have the PC Portaband hand-held metal cutting band saw, which I cannot find new on the internet any more. Looks like the Dewalt version is the replacement.

I've used it a bunch to cut lengths of angle iron and rerod.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.