WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

sharpening stone

Posts

sharpening stone

#1

sharpening stone

Jerry Gibbs

Won this stone at a club meet. Looks like the stone was glued to the wood base at the factory. Most of the markings are Japanese. Is it a water stone? If so does it need soaking or just water on top. The only markings in English is the name King. 8000 is penciled on the bottom of the box.

Re: sharpening stone

#3

Re: sharpening stone

Gary Smyth

Agree that it is a water stone, but I've been told that these ought to be soaked in water before use. If it's the same stone formula, the web ad for a King 8000 grit states submersion.

Size: 210 x 73 x 22 mm

• Weight: 2.2lbs

• Grit: 8000.

• Material: whetstone: Special abrasive material, base: plastic

• Requires submersion in water before use.

Re: sharpening stone

#4

Re: sharpening stone

Jerry Gibbs

I think this is a older stone that has not been used. The stone appears to be glued to the base, which is why I had the water soaking/sprinkling question.

Re: sharpening stone

#5

Re: sharpening stone

Dick Coers

Definitely don't submerge. I've used the same one for decades. It's more dense than the courser grits and water barely soaks in. The steel will grab when it's flat, so I use a nagura stone to build a paste on the surface and reduce friction.

Re: sharpening stone

#6

Re: sharpening stone

kruizen

As a general rule 4000 grit and under require soaking for a margin of time, basically because the grit size will allow for water absorption allowing for a slurry to form when using.

No need to soak the 8000 grit stone because the grit size is so small that it basically will not absorb water. So when you mist the 8000 grit you will need to immediately apply the cutting edge that you are looking to polish to work up the slurry. Because the water stones are so "soft" it will not take long.

Note: you will not be removing much steel, you are basically taking out the lines from the lower grit stones. The 8000 grit is only for polishing the edge.

When I used water stones I only used the 8000 grit on carving tools.

Lee Valley's website would a good place to get more information.

Re: sharpening stone

#7

Re: sharpening stone

Hank Knight

I've retired all of my water stones except for my 8,000. I still use it for final polish on some tools. Just a spritz or two of water on the surface is all you need. A nagura stone is not necessary, but nice if you have one. You'll need something to flatten your King stone. They are pretty soft and dish badly unless you flatten them, and they are soft enough to gouge with a tool edge so be careful with it. It will leave a very nice, shiny, sharp edge on your tools.

Re: sharpening stone

#8

To flatten silicon carbide sandpaper and glass

Dick Coers

and water is all you need to flatten it.

Re: sharpening stone

#10

Re: S-3 is 6000 grit......I believe

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I could be wrong bout this, but I was told that S-3 refers to the thickness. I have one, but it’s no 6000.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.