WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT: t-8 or t-12

Posts

OT: t-8 or t-12

#1

Jack Guzman from Maine

OT: t-8 or t-12

Jack Guzman from Maine

I have a two bulb 4' t-12 flourescent fixture over my bandsaw. One of the bulbs burned out and I don't have any replacements but I do have some t-8 bulbs so I put one in. Surprising me it worked fine. I don't understand how this works. When you buy a replacement ballast they specify either t-8 or t-12. I always assumed it made a difference and they weren't interchangeable. I guess I was wrong.---Jack

Re: OT: t-8 or t-12

#3

Jack Guzman from Maine

17" at 5 pm and still coming


Re: OT: t-8 or t-12

#4

Re: OT: t-8 or t-12

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

let us know how long it lasts.

Re: OT: t-8 or t-12

#5

Re: OT: t-8 or t-12

John K Jordan

Ask Dr Google this: can you put t-8 bulbs in a t-12 fixture?

It doesn't look good for the long run.

JKJ

Re: OT: t-8 or t-12

#6

Jack Guzman from Maine

will do


Re: OT: t-8 or t-12

#7

Re: OT: t-8 or t-12

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

my brother-in-law who is a retired lighting engineer from GE said the same.

Re: OT: t-8 or t-12

#8

Jack Guzman from Maine

How long it lasted

Jack Guzman from Maine

The t-8 bulb burned out after 4-6 hours of use. This was a new bulb. I'm not sure when because I didn't see it happen. The t-12 bulb that was still working hasn't been affected. I guess I gotta buy a couple t-12s.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.