WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

Posts

Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#1

Alan Young

Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

Alan Young

The case is made from solid Sapele, Mahogany and Walnut. Anigre and Sapele Veneer, and Brass. ​I made the brass door pull and the five brass frame connectors. My father-Roland Young made the brass grill.


The client first commissioned this sheet music cabinet in 2014.


In 2017 my client contacted me to inquire about building a companion piece. This new design would be a bookcase based on this bookcase he saw.


I made this design that combines features from the sheet music cabinet and the Bookcase


I was very happy to be able to collaborate with my Dad on this piece. At the age of 89 my father-Roland Yound fabricated the brass grill on the front door.

Dad made this jig to hold brass together for soldering.


Dad-soldering the brass grill



Here we are with the grill perfectly fit into the door frame.


I took four pictures of Dad working on the grill and decopauged them to the bottom of the cabinet for posterity.


The grill and glass are secured to the door with these brass connecting pads and the Art Deco styled door pull that I made.


The glass and brass grill are set into the door and covered with a wooden frame. The frame is secured to the door with the shop made brass connectors.



The Art Deco door pull.






Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#2

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

Chuck Kettler

A work of art for the client and an opportunity to work with your father in his golden years. Awesome.

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#3

I'd hate to give that one up!  Nice..


Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#4

Wow!

Tony - Memphis

What a nice piece...a true heirloom.

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#6

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

Mark Hennebury

Beautiful Job! Love the brasswork. The design of the whole cabinet is very nice. How great it must be have your dad work with you.

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#7

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Thumbs up! Lucky are the books that will reside there. Of course I'm giving most of the credit to your father. Ha ha.

T.

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#8

Adam of Oakland

Holy Cow that is amazing!

Adam of Oakland

i'm a sucker for art deco and am just trruly blown away by this piece. the brass details and that pull! wow! great work and it's heartening to see you and your pop collaborating on this. poetry!

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#9

Ellis Walentine

Now I get it...

Ellis Walentine

I often wondered where you got your insatiable need to create things. Pretty clear that the apple (acorn) didn't fall too far from the tree. I had a similar relationship with my father: he taught me all he knew and I took it from there.

What a thrill to work with your father, and the design and fabrication work is well thought out and nicely executed. All in all, a wonderful piece and a colossal post! Keep up the great work!

Ellis

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#10

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

Virgil Johnson

Nice work. Your father did a great job on the brass. The fixturing was likely as much work as the cutting and soldering the brass.

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#11

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

Don Orr

Another spectacular piece of artwork and collaboration. Lots of heart and spirit in this one for sure.

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#12

question

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Is this the door you had a problem hinging? If so how was the problem solved (I recall some stop was called for)?

Looks like you got the luster just right.

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#13

Alan Young

Re: question

Alan Young

Hi Bill-

I mounted a "lid support" bracket like this one:


The bracket is mounted at the top of the door/case-


It restricts the door to opening to basically 90 degrees- but if I didn't use this then the door would swing wide and the brass frame connecting hardware I made was going to make indentations on the outer vertical frame piece.

Photographing this piece was problematic. I set up a home made photo booth in our dining room-Had to hang material from the widows to keep out too much light. It was near impossible to keep objects from reflecting in the glass. The contrast between wood species in these photos is significantly more than in person-



Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#14

Alan Young

Re: Now I get it...

Alan Young

"Insatiable" -That word pretty much sums it up. These photos of Dad were from last November- Since then Dad has been dealing with significant health issues but he continues on with optimism. He and my brother are rebuilding a home made tractor/snowblower. Dad is also working on a prototype mechanical design for me for another project.


Time is precious.

-Alan

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#15

That worked!

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I thought such a contraption would look out of place but in fact I had to hunt for it in the picture so I expect few will notice it.

Your dad might have have come up with a stop skillfully brazed to the hinge barrel.

BTW, I just love candid photos like the "photo studio" and similar pictures of shops.

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#16

Very Fine

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Your metalwork is getting ever closer to the quality of your wood work.

Glad to see the lid-support idea worked out for you.

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#17

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

fred in ct

What I would give to work on a project with my father, he was taken from this world at 60 yrs old, much too young.

Re: Art Deco Bookcase is Finished.

#18

Alan Young

Thanks for the suggestion!

Alan Young

My memory faded :\ and I couldn't remember who suggested that device. I plan on using them in future pieces such as this.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.