WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Cabinet with white marks

Posts

Cabinet with white marks

#1

Cabinet with white marks

Dustmaker Mike

Howdy all

I purchased some Kraftmaid cabinets made out of Maple with a peppercorn color finish on them. I bought them from Kraftmaids seconds factory. They both seem to have a white markings, sort of like a scratches on them, about the size of baseball card. The peppercorn finish under the white marks seems fine, so I am figure it is in the (I am guessing) Laquer finish. So my question is how can I clean them up? I figure I will have to reapply some laquer after what ever I do to clean them.

Thanks I figure I will work on them this weekend.

Re: Cabinet with white marks

#2

Re: Cabinet with white marks

Dick Coers

I'd be surprised if any production cabinets had lacquer on them. That went out of favor decades ago. Usually conversion varnish today. If there is an inconspicuous spot, put a little lacquer thinner on it. It will soften lacquer immediately, if conversion varnish not so much. I would not spray lacquer on top of conversion varnish, likely to be an incompatibility issue. But a test spot would confirm that.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.