WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Milk Paint

Posts

Milk Paint

#1

Clint Searl

Milk Paint

Clint Searl

For anyone using milk paint, there is now a source for pre-mixed and shelf stable product at:

https://www.sinopiamilkpaint.com

My limited foray into using milk paint from powder found it fussy to prepare and use, so this new stuff might be worth a try. Sinopia is a great source for all kinds of art level pigments, binders, and leafing supplies.

Re: Milk Paint

#2

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Milk Paint

Jack Guzman from Maine

Thanks Clint. It's good to see another player in the milk paint world. Resources are good things.---Jack

Re: Milk Paint

#3

Re: Milk Paint

Dick Coers

I guess I'm a little skeptical about the formula. although we have added a few more ingredients to make it more durable for interior and exterior painting and to extend the shelf life.

I wonder if any of those added ingredients are acrylics? That would sure add durability. Also curious about what the shelf life really is? $21 a pint on Amazon.

Re: Milk Paint

#4

Clint Searl

Re: Milk Paint

Clint Searl

I tried mixing my own from a dry mix pigment/binder from realmilkpaint.com, and applying it over a ground of flat acrylic wall paint. The idea was to lay one color over another and rub it out for an antique effect. Didn't get that far because the first coat didn't adhere to the acrylic. It dried and flaked off.

I got the effect wanted by using two colors of flat acrylic, letting the under color dry completely, laying on the top color and wiping through it while still partly wet to expose the under color in spots. A couple coats of water borne poly floor finish went over all to complete it.


Re: Milk Paint

#5

I ditched it years ago

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

General finishes had a product called Country Colors that was a suitable substitute for my work. That product was replaced with something whose name I don't recall, and I have not used it. I laid in a stock of the Country Colors that I have yet to use up.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.