WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

Posts

I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#1

I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

John McGaw

...this just might be too much of a 'good' thing.


Safe Sawing

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#2

Re: I Am All For Safety But...

Tom dunlap

Is there a snarky theme song or emoji i should lead with?

Goal of safety? Wear shop footwear

In remental

Change is how we progress...I guess???

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#3

Re: I Am All For Safety But...

William Duffield

Was it the Three Stooges or Laurel and Hardy who did the paper hanging skit?

I don't care how "safe" it was to build that sorry excuse for a table, it is unstable, structurally unsound and in imminent danger of collapse as soon as it is loaded. I wouldn't let a toddler, a dog or even a cat in the same room with it.

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#4

Re: I Am All For Safety But...

John McGaw

"Was it the Three Stooges or Laurel and Hardy who did the paper hanging skit?"

Both actually. And Charlie Chaplin and probably a dozen others. Clearly there is something inherently humorous about the task when done by others in front of a camera. My one attempt was just plain sad.

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#5

Re: I Am All For Safety But...

Brian Holcombe

These people do know about CNC machines? :D

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#6

But...

John K Jordan

... they "started with a template designed by experts." I'm trying to be impressed.

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#7

E-Gad

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

It's an Ikea subcontractor!

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#8

The key is...

Kevin French

in that 1st para.

For many people, power saws are scary things, bringing forth mental images of horrible hand injuries. Such saws are an integral part of creating custom wooden furniture, however.

One needs another hobby

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#9

Re: I Am All For Safety But...

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

As a woodworker, it would bring me endless satisfaction knowing that I programmed my robots to perform a cut on the miter saw. In fact, I really like the concept of never having to actually touch the wood myself. I could live a splinter free existence. My clients would be so impressed that their furniture was hand crafted....by robot hands of course. Now all I need is a 3-D printer to print lumber for me. Guess I'll think on it a while. Now, off to the shop, to make furniture, like a neanderthal. T.

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#10

Re: I Am All For Safety But...

John McGaw

Back in my early days of attempting woodworking I watched Norm religiously. Some times I was disillusioned when he would show some piece of equipment which I might only dream of on a limited budget and sometimes I used to imagine a forthcoming program when Norm would introduce a project with "Now we select cherry, oil finish, blanket box and Shaker on the dials of the 'Furniture-Matic' and wait 20 minutes for the finished product at the other end. Meanwhile, I'll sing a collection of little-known New England folk songs..."

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#11

Me, and Murphy's Law

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Here's how the robot thing would play out in my shop.....

I'd get the robots to make my furniture. At some point a software update would be an "improvement" that would provide my robots with artificial intelligence. Next thing I know, my robots are overriding my designs to their own aesthetics. And when I try to re-program, they see me as obsolete and a threat. Eventually they kill me.

At the end of the day, are the robots really safer?

T.

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#12

Re: Me, and Murphy's Law

John K Jordan

Be afraid. Be very afraid. The robots may get some artistic upgrading (or hacked or something) and decide to make artistic things incorporating some human body parts. Then they'll decide there is no need to build things for people if there are not any people around.

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#13

Re: Me, and Murphy's Law

James Heaston

Reminds of the saying; "He that makes something fool proof underestimates the fool." :\

I'd just love to have those robots because I love work ..... I can sit and watch it for hours. :D

Now in all seriousness why don't they make a robot that sands! Or is that a job they can't even get robots to do either? How many of us would seriously consider a robot that does that? Huh?

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#14

First steps always look clumsy.

Chuck Nickerson

Down the road (a decade?) this represents custom furniture at the IKEA price-point.

As a hobbyist I don't care, but there will probably be jobs in putting this stuff together for people.

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#15

Remember these are kids now

Gary Smyth

With the grant and "successful" prototypes. They start their post school lives at $100K and get offered jobs that never get to the mass of normal grads.

That said, I keep wondering if the International Space Station had had a ceramic deposit CNC printer if the lost astronauts would have come home with a atmospheric fire proof tile patch on the shuttle. (Of course they would have had to do an inspection series of maneuvers to see the damage -- which wasn't planned for or done until after the loss.)

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#16

Re: First steps always look clumsy.

Brian Holcombe

Maybe, but automatic chop saws already exist (they cut to length accurately and very quickly) along with the obvious being large CNC routers.

Lumber can also be automatically fed. People have already created handheld CNC routers.

I'm truly lost as to the take-away, either they know considerably more than I do and it's simply lost on me or these guys need more information on what's already out there.

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#17

Re: Me, and Murphy's Law

Kevin French

Robots in my shop would be confine to getting me coffee which would save a lot of time.

Maybe one with a built-in coffee maker.

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#18

The future

John K Jordan

>>>Down the road (a decade?) this represents custom furniture at the IKEA price-point.

Down the road furniture will be 3D "printed". Some will look and feel like wood. Some will appear metallic, iridescent, translucent, or chatoyant. Some will be unimaginable.

The "woodworker" will either sit at a computer or be replaced with an Ikea algorithm. Cutting will be a part of "cutting and pasting". Drills, saws, and planer will be icons. Finishing will be a click on a palette. Chips and sawdust will be displayed in museums. Old guys will reminisce.

JKJ

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#19

Re: The future

Walt

"The "woodworker" will either sit at a computer or be replaced with an Ikea algorithm. Cutting will be a part of "cutting and pasting". Drills, saws, and planer will be icons. Finishing will be a click on a palette. Chips and sawdust will be displayed in museums. Old guys will reminisce."

Then there'll be a cataclysm and a few hundred/thousand years later bronze tools - and not Lie-Nielsen - will be the latest thing

Re: I Am All For Safety But... *LINK*

#20

Re: I Am All For Safety But...

AZ in Colorado Springs

They quoted q PhD student talking about democratizing woodworking.

Their real goal is grant money for the students.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.