WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Makita Switch

Posts

Makita Switch

#1

Makita Switch

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

My LS 1211 is acting a bit cranky, like releasing the handle switch doesn't kill the power i.e. the saw stays on. Not a good situation. Anyone have this issue and what did you do?

Suspect it's time to open up the handle assembly and blow it out, but wanted to ask here first.

tia

Re: Makita Switch

#2

Re: Makita Switch

Larry

Clean it out.

Re: Makita Switch

#3

Re: Makita Switch

Barry Irby

I agree with Larry. And if you can get to the contacts, clean them very gently with some really fine sandpaper. Nothing to lose. Can't bread something that is already broken.

Re: Makita Switch

#4

Tried

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Still "sticks".

Looks like I go fish for a new switch for a 20 year old saw.

Re: Makita Switch

#5

Re: Tried

John K Jordan

I've "refurbished" a lot of equipment switches over the years. Most just require cleaning but if sticking I disassemble completely and lubricate all the moving parts. Examine the mechanical mechanism for signs of wear or a broken part and repair as needed. Some require drilling out rivets to get apart.

After cleaning the contacts (1500 grit paper is good, don't remove any plating) I apply a tiny smear of dielectric grease to each contact surface. Depending on the switch I might lube the moving parts with dry lube or silicon grease. After testing, if the switch is subject to gumming up with fine dust (like the Jet 1642 switch) I seal the outside from dust with plastic wrap, tape, sealer, whatever fits best.

You forgot to say what a LS 1211 is but since it is in a handle is a clue. If the switch is a microswitch engaged by a trigger mechanism, replacements are readily available. Even a non-standard microswitch can usually be replaced with one off the shelf with some mounting ingenuity as long as the current rating is ok. The mfgr may even have an inexpensive direct replacement. But if the microswitch itself checks out a non-release problem is probably wear in the trigger, levers or ratchets that engage the switch. Hard to say without inspection.

JKJ

Re: Makita Switch

#6

Re: Makita Switch

del schisler

70

Switch TG70B

Part Number: 651923-1

In Stock, 25+ Available

$21.09

e-replacement parts has them i have the same saw the switch also stops the saw with reverse power to the armeture

Re: Makita Switch

#7

12"

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Sliding compound miter saw. Levers and such are fine. Switch is a micro unit that I'll just replace. $20 ain't worth the time to fuss with it.

Re: Makita Switch

#8

Re: 12"

John K Jordan

>>> $20 ain't worth the time to fuss with it.

I agree. The switches I've fixed were mostly difficult or expensive to obtain or it was Saturday and I or a friend needed/wanted it NOW or the problem was obvious and easy.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.