WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Sunburst head board question

Posts

Sunburst head board question

#1

Sunburst head board question

Barry Irby

I have been cogitating on a headboard for a long time. Some sort of sunburst effect. I have some quarter sawn white oak and was thinking of cutting long thin wedges of it and gluing them together to form sort of a sunburst. So, would you glue them up out of solid wood or would you resaw it into veneer and laminate it onto plywood?

Re: Sunburst head board question

#2

Neither, Think staves with a little space between.

Keith Newton

They can fit into a slot, with spacers between that are a little wider than the depth of the slot. You can brad them near the center from the back, which will hide any movement. Gluing up wedges is tricky, and the cross grain seasonal changes becomes an arc rather than straight across. You don't want to go there, it will just make your brain tired trying to figure it out ahead of time. ha

Re: Sunburst head board question

#3

Re: Neither, Think staves with a little space betw

Keith Newton

Also, If you want a solid look, you could make it tongue and groove, maybe with V groove, which would help hide any movement.

Or to give a more textured effect, you could cut a groove on both sides of thicker tapered wedges, then use thinner wedges in between, so that every other wedge would be offset by about 3/8", then each wedge could move independently.

You like the sound of any of these ideas?

Re: Sunburst head board question

#4

Re: Neither, Think staves with a little space betw

Barry Irby

Sounding good. This is new thought for me. I saw one on Artful Home site and liked it. I do think I could build it your way a lot easier than what I was thinking.

Re: Sunburst head board question

#5

Re: Sunburst head board question

Gary Smyth

Lots of ways to skin this cat. How about a picture of what you are thinking? Open slats? Closed? Flat? Three Dimensional?[












Re: Sunburst head board question

#6

Re: Sunburst head board question

Jesse Cloud

I would go with veneer. That thin, there is no significant movement.

Its not that hard, but with something a large as a headboard, you might want to break it down into two or three panels. Its hard to apply that much glue and fit the assembly (basically wedges held together with veneer tape) before the glue dries.

I would probably use hide glue, but the discussions on that border on religious wars on this board, so no recommendation. Whatever adhesive you go with, it should be either easily softenable for second attempts or have a very long open time.

The hardest parts to get perfect are the center intersection of all the wedges and the outside edge - so don't even try. Just build it a little extra large and trim off the edges.

Hope you go forward with this. It would be a really interesting project.

Re: Sunburst head board question

#7

I like you last picture, and *LINK*

Barry Irby

The one shown as the Sunrise/Sunset bed on Artful Home.

https://www.artfulhome.com/navigate/furniture-lighting-furniture-beds/best

The more I stare at the one from Artful Home, the less I like it.I lke the panel, niot the frame of it.


http://www.artfulhome.com/navigate/furniture-lighting-furniture-beds/best

Re: Sunburst head board question

#8

No brainer.

Gary Smyth

I don't blame you for liking it. At $22,000 for the commercial version for a head board to instead make it yourself gives you plenty of leeway for wood, errors and redos. Lots of reason to buy vacuum equipment or tools and jigs. $22,000! Who would do that?

Push on through!

Re: Sunburst head board question

#9

Re: No brainer.

Keith Newton

Since Barry already has the lumber he's wanting to use, that should be about what he would earn for a month, so he gets to spend a whole month on it.

Or he could fly me out to Richmond to work with him for half that, and he'll not just have the piece, but I'd get him up to speed on V-bagging, and maybe even sign the piece too.

This offer may be subject to change any minute now so better act quickly! ha

Re: Sunburst head board question

#10

AND, I already have the Vacuum bag....

Barry Irby

so I just need a little glue and bed bolts, so I should be able to make about $21,985 on it. What could possibly go wrong? I'm off to go car shopping.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.